Paint won't dry

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 esmereldagrubb

esmereldagrubb

Member v.1

• 93 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:21 PM

I am having another problem with my kit ......It won't dry! I cant mask or do anything because the paint is still sticky and has been that way over a week. I thought maybe it was moist outside or needed extra time because of the wetness outside but NOW i am starting to get worried. The first spray of primer laid ok , but the acrylic flesh i sprayed and the topcoat is still wet.....Any suggestions on how to speed this up or what is causing this to happen??? I dont want to mess up my paint job with impatience but WILL IT EVER DRY? :furious:
"Our sickness is between our ears. "
''Death may be the greatest of all human blessings''
-Socrates
''Never eat anything you can't lift.'' -Miss Piggy
''Pain of mind is worse than pain of body.''-Publilius Syrus

Posted Image

#2 Sprtrooper(Anakin)

Sprtrooper(Anakin)

Member v.2

• 108 posts
  • Interests:Building Models, Martial Arts, My Kids, PC Games, Computers in General, riding SportBikes had a Suzuki GSXF 600

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:38 PM

if you mixed the types of paint like lacquer over acrylic or vice versa, you have to strip it and start over. If you had a putty or other agents under the paint that did not cure before you applied the paint, you will also have trouble. If its raining out or really high humidity, you will also have trouble. Have you tried to use a hair dryer on cool setting to try to dry it? otherwise I dont know why it happened.

#3 NozomiWhiteWolf

NozomiWhiteWolf

wayward gal

• 4,047 posts
  • Interests:fashion, knitting, sewing, crafts, cosplay, gothic lolita, gyaru, makeup, photography, modeling, videogames, sport cars, baking, cooking, motorcyles

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:17 PM

As sprtrooper mentioned, if the humidity is high, it may not cure or will take a while. I have had this problem down here in FL. What brand of paint are you using? What did you mix into it/thin it with? You might have to bring it indoors if it's outside to cure.

#4 esmereldagrubb

esmereldagrubb

Member v.1

• 93 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:17 PM

View PostNozomiWhiteWolf, on Mar 24 2007, 12:17 AM, said:

As sprtrooper mentioned, if the humidity is high, it may not cure or will take a while. I have had this problem down here in FL. What brand of paint are you using? What did you mix into it/thin it with? You might have to bring it indoors if it's outside to cure.
I DID use Krylon White Primer and sprayed Model Master ACrylic overtop it thinned with water. I never had a problem painting acrylic over primer before. It is a bit dryer today , so i am hoping it just will take longer than normal. I guess i WILL have to strip it and start over if it doesnt dry soon....WHICH WILL SUCK BIGTIME! :mecry:
-Socrates

Posted Image

#5 panzercreations

panzercreations

• 33 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:34 PM

is it a vinyl kit? enamels , even primers dont react well with vinyl kits, they remain sticky for a very long time

#6 NozomiWhiteWolf

NozomiWhiteWolf

wayward gal

• 4,047 posts
  • Interests:fashion, knitting, sewing, crafts, cosplay, gothic lolita, gyaru, makeup, photography, modeling, videogames, sport cars, baking, cooking, motorcyles

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:35 PM

View Postesmereldagrubb, on Mar 25 2007, 10:17 AM, said:

View PostNozomiWhiteWolf, on Mar 24 2007, 12:17 AM, said:

I DID use Krylon White Primer and sprayed Model Master ACrylic overtop it thinned with water. I never had a problem painting acrylic over primer before. It is a bit dryer today , so i am hoping it just will take longer than normal. I guess i WILL have to strip it and start over if it doesnt dry soon....WHICH WILL SUCK BIGTIME! :mecry:

Hmm, if you are doing all your spray work outdoors, and leaving it to dry, that could be the reason. I believe I've used Krylon primers before with no trouble. Just make sure the primer is dry for sure before applying paint coats on top. Make sure it's cured underneath (takes longer to cure than just to 'dry' apparently.) I'd suggest bringing your sprayed paint parts indoors as soon as you've sprayed the paint (on newspaper, an old box, on paperclips stuck in foam or wood, whatever, or however you go about spraying) and let it dry indoors. If it still doesn't dry, it must be an issue with the paint not sticking to the primer. I don't know about that other than maybe you thinned the paint too much or the primer needs a thin layer of sanding before paint application to make it bite. Don't worry, it'll stick eventually, even if you have to strip and start over. Does the paint look even remotely dry in some spots?

Also, I have found that Rustoleum brand (sp?) primer works well on vinyl kits. Mine dried after only a day or so. (May have been a few hours but it certainly didn't take a week.)

#7 Tickwomp

Tickwomp

Member v.2

• 120 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:39 AM

you can also make a mini heat box out of foam core or insulation foam lined with foil; but if you use a bulb that's too strong, or if the bulb is too close to the painted parts, your paint will bubble or the kit will melt.  i just use an open top foam box taped together, with a desk lamp and a 60w bulb pointing into the box.  the ambient heat helps with the drying and curing.

#8 mr_greed

mr_greed

MECHA PIMP

• 997 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:47 AM

you know it sounds like you did not let your paints CURE before you went on to the next layers. just cuz paint is DRY to the touch does not mean its ready for a new layer, specially if you will mix paint types. acrylics takes 6-12 hours to really dry, and 48 hours to fully cure, lacquers can dry in 12 minutes but can take up to 6 days to fully cure.

paint has essentially 3 parts, binding agent( the glue that sticks it to the surface) pigment( the color) and solvents( the thinner). so when paint dries, all that has dried or evaporated is the binder, the solvent is still there. once the solvent is gone, its cured, meaning that all that is left on the part, is pigment(color) and a bit of binder. even tho we dont see it, the solvent is slowly evaporating day by day. if you lat down an other coat before its cured, then you have an other layer on top that needs to evaporate while the one bellow is also not done. so its never dry, the layer underneath is keeping the top layers 'wet" still.

you need to have more air movement on the surface of the piece to help move the evaporating solvents out of these painted pieces. heat backing the parts( using a light bulb to heat it up) wont help if the paints is acrylics, it will dry it faster and leave cracks on it. lacquers it will work on but only at 80 degrees or so like they do car color bake ons.

hope this helps ! :P
SEE MY CORE WORKS EX-S VER 2 WIP !

ALSO SEE MY CORE WORKS MK-V WIP

HEY ! COME SEE MY FAZZ NEBULA ! AT HOBBY YARD !

AND WHY NOT ADD YOURS THERE TOO !?

#9 esmereldagrubb

esmereldagrubb

Member v.1

• 93 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for all the advice....it seems much dryer today. All this knowledge will help with future kits!
-Socrates

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users