- - - - -

gorilla glue for resin assembly?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 smog

smog

Member v.2

• 126 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, anime art, women etc...

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:36 PM

I was just curious ohw gorilla glue would work for resin kits. I need to reassemble a few kits I put together with crazy glue back in the day.

#2 GameraBaenre

GameraBaenre

Banned Asshole

• 2,773 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:05 PM

Since the stuff expands as it cures, you would need clamps and such to keep everything together while it cures....

Why not use a 5-minute epoxy - this is by far my favorite glue type to use on resin kits.

Belkar Bitterleaf, on OOTS #476, said:

I an a sexy shoeless god of cooking too.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 ssgtdude

ssgtdude

Committed Member

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Resin

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:22 PM

I used some gorilla glue and even just one drop will expand a lot.  so much so that it might seep and you have to clean the edges with a hobby knife.

a good 5 minute epoxy is much better choice.

#4 smog

smog

Member v.2

• 126 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:59 PM

i just ruined the paint job on my rei with eoxy....stupid crap -_- shoulda just kept using krazy glue
it just had to leave a streamer when i applied the glue

#5 NozomiWhiteWolf

NozomiWhiteWolf

wayward gal

• 4,047 posts
  • Interests:fashion, knitting, sewing, crafts, cosplay, gothic lolita, gyaru, makeup, photography, modeling, videogames, sport cars, baking, cooking, motorcyles

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:08 PM

Hmm...I use super glue but thats with pins too, unless the part is small. LOL Gamera can attest that I have had some troubles with super glue (flashback to me trying to super-glue my Rei's hand back onto her arm and standing there, and the piece kept sliding and wouldn't stick!) :lol:

#6 smog

smog

Member v.2

• 126 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:46 PM

yeah I;ve always used super or crazy. The bonds dont seem to hold up as well overtime, but thats without pins.  The tihng I hate about epoxy is this crap doesnt seem to consistantly mix correctly out of the double tubed syringe.

and its messy. I really hate holding the part for 5 minutes waiting for the stuff to even set too.. Oh well.. I needed tor edo this kit again.

anyone know where I can find a good recast of this rei figure? Warning, not  work safe!
http://www.nwstarque...itpage/rei3.jpg

#7 TEOS

TEOS

TEOS

• 83 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:00 PM

I once used 5 minute epoxy on my resin kit. All I remember is it takes eternity to sand it down. The worse thing was that the surrounding resin parts were sanded more quickly than the epoxy glue. Is there any easy-sanding 5 min epoxy?

#8 Eltherin

Eltherin

Amuro's Lackey

• 1,116 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:18 PM

The best putty's for the price IMO are Quickplastic and Aquamend:

http://polymericsyst...utty_Sticks.htm

Quickplastic is very easy to sand, and is carveable the rest of its life, but will not adhere very well to plastic. I wouldn't use it to hold 2 parts together. Aquamend, is a bit harder to sand, but still not bad. After about 2 days its really hard to carve, but bonds to most plastics I have used it on, so It will hold large parts together really well.

If I have to make 2 large piece of resin stick, what I do is use the Aquamend for the center, then just lay some Quickplastic around the edges, and that takes care of all the problems. I have the bonding properties plus I can sand/carve where I need to with no problems.

I forgot to mention, they are sold in "tootsie roll" form, meaning both parts come rolled in one tube, all you simply do is cut the piece you want and mix, no need to measure. When mixed, you get the consistency of clay and about 10 minutes of work time.

#9 smog

smog

Member v.2

• 126 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:10 PM

sounds like this miliput stuff I have.

#10 GameraBaenre

GameraBaenre

Banned Asshole

• 2,773 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:03 PM

I usually just apply the epoxy glues to the pin area and rarely on the actual surface of the kit.  If there is a gap then that is fixed with epoxy putty, the glue holds very well and flexes unlike super glue which is very brittle when it dries.

Belkar Bitterleaf, on OOTS #476, said:

I an a sexy shoeless god of cooking too.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Sakuya

Sakuya

Member v.4

• 474 posts
  • Interests:Anime, online gaming, manga amongst others

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:05 PM

View Postsmog, on Jun 1 2007, 07:10 AM, said:

sounds like this miliput stuff I have.

Yeah, I would have assumed the 2 part putties wouldn't have been too good as glues, in my experience milliput is a great filler but a terrible adhesive.

Out of curiosity, what the hell is this gorilla glue stuff ?  :huh:

#12 Darkblade48

Darkblade48

Member v.5

• 812 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:12 AM

Here's a picture of it from the great internet:

http://img170.images...illaglueys2.gif

Essentially, it's a really strong (expanding) glue, as people have already mentionned. I've always found it at my local home renovation store.

#13 MechaSparky

MechaSparky

Can't sleep, the clown will eat me...

• 819 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:31 AM

Gorilla Glue is a really bad choice for models because it expands... ALOT. Great for wood working tho...

Best choice I've found is Epoxy and pinning.  Super Glue becomes very brittle over time and will break under light impacts that wouldn't seperate epoxy, even if the joint is pinned.

#14 smog

smog

Member v.2

• 126 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:45 AM

yeah this was a old kit before I ever experimented with pinning. So the epoxy was a real pain, I managed to get one leg set after 10 minutes of holding it, after that, I just krazy glued the rest lol.

#15 StayPuft

StayPuft

Committed Member

• 1,949 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:46 AM

I try to never use Crazy or Super Glue, except on small parts.  The thing is very brittle and has no sheer strength at all.  It holds as long as the pieces are pulled perpendicular to the connection points but apply any sideways sheer force and it cracks.  lol, hard to explain.  Anyway, I've always used 5 min epoxy, just like GameraBaenre explained.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users