Super ZZ Gundam

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Michael

Michael

Gunpla NoobCake

• 1,200 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:34 AM

I was wondering if anyone had purchased the Ebay Super ZZ Gundam recast kit from TradeZone 88...is it in good quality or average? I was thinking of getting it.

Oh and does anyone know anything about the kit? It does not seem to be in any MSV I have searched. Is there a storyline to it?

Is there anyone with an original of the kit? I would like to purchase it. Drop me a PM if you are interested to sell it.

#2 Amaterasu

Amaterasu

T-T-T-Ta-Ta-Tallllgeeeese!

• 3,828 posts
  • Interests:Shit be gettin' real, now yo!

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:08 AM

That's a Kondo design.  And like many Kondo items, it takes a person of .... different.. tastes to appreciate it.  Kondo items are never very large.  I often see them in 1/220.  I've always wondered why they shy from 1/100 so.

Tradezone88 seems to have a very good rep for recast quality.  That's all I know.

Looking for:

MG GP 01 : Face / Head

#3 Michael

Michael

Gunpla NoobCake

• 1,200 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:21 AM

Do not get me mistaken... :P ...I love the design of the kit very much!! Thanks for the info btw.

So, I guess I will be taking this kit instead then. Thanks very much.

#4 Xavadis

Xavadis

Member v.4

• 476 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:09 AM

View PostAmaterasu, on Jun 25 2007, 12:08 AM, said:

That's a Kondo design.  And like many Kondo items, it takes a person of .... different.. tastes to appreciate it.  Kondo items are never very large.

Actually the Super ZZ Gundam model is a Makoto Kobayashi design, not Kazuhisha Kondoh. Kobayashi contributed to parts of the original ZZ Gundam design, and has designed variations of most of his gundam designs, his most popular variations appearing in his "Dragon's Heaven" manga and anime.

The Super ZZ  design is from his manga work. It appears in an issue of B-club magazine I have, called "Collossus". It is shown being delivered into battle in a flight mode stored underneath a delivery craft, something like the Re-GZ's flight mode. Once the target is reached the ZZ is released and transforms and lands in assault/MS mode. When I get home in a couple weeks I will scan and post some pics here if this thread is still here. I also won the Super ZZ kit from TradeZone88 on ebay last week, so when I get it I will give my opinion of the casting.

#5 SignOfZeta

SignOfZeta

Member v.3

• 289 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:28 AM

Kondo items are never very large.  I often see them in 1/220.  I've always wondered why they shy from 1/100 so.

1/220 used to be a lot more popular back during this period, or even into the early 90s. It makes a lot of sense to me. I have no idea where you people are putting all these 1/100 or larger (1/35!?!) models, and I live the US where real estate in cheap. I can't even fathom where a Japanese guy puts all this crap.

#6 Knife-Edge

Knife-Edge

Member v.4

• 476 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:11 AM

This is what's printed on mine.
Posted Image Guess this would clarify the scale question.

#7 teradafamily

teradafamily

An Antique Machine In Peaceful Time

• 40 posts
  • Interests:Illustration, Mecha Modeling

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:43 AM

This is definitely one of my favorite designs by Makoto Kobayashi, along with Neo Shaian and AS Wars mechas(in which appeared a Super ZZ Gundam with a Shaian Head) =)

Xavadis if you can post those pictures that would be great, I'm waiting for the feedback of the kit too, so if there'll still be one available I may think about getting it...

#8 kamihami1

kamihami1

• 11 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:20 PM

I am wondering Knife if the kit shown in your pics is Resin?? and i think a lot of the reason they never did any of Kondo's designs in a bigger scale is they are mostly Huge , Mobil platforms or the likes.. that tends to take up a lot of space.. i am no expert on Kondo but i remember his work being mostly really really big Mechs ... hence the need to cast it in 220.
  I mean it would be great to see a 1/1 scale dendrobium, for example, but whos going to buy it.... :blink:
also the ZZ does look nice .. cant say for sure but if i had the chance to get one , i might.

#9 Xenoex

Xenoex

Member v.4

• 447 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:27 PM

I bought this kit from hobbyfan last year.  I have not built it yet, but have trimmed and cleaned the parts.  Love the organic and very original design of it!!   Very funky mech :D
EX-S is Gundam. The rest is just details.

#10 Xavadis

Xavadis

Member v.4

• 476 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:43 PM

View Postkamihami1, on Jun 25 2007, 06:20 AM, said:

I am wondering Knife if the kit shown in your pics is Resin?? and i think a lot of the reason they never did any of Kondo's designs in a bigger scale is they are mostly Huge , Mobil platforms or the likes.. that tends to take up a lot of space.. i am no expert on Kondo but i remember his work being mostly really really big Mechs ... hence the need to cast it in 220.

The Kondoh kits were mostly made in 1/220 because of the market, I think. Some Gundam fans are turned off by Kondoh's style, the most apparent being the enlarged skirt armor, and the super detailing like his Zeta Gustav shown in my avatar to the left..Bigger, 1/144 and 1/100 scale kits rely on a bigger target audience to sell, because they cost more to make. Smaller 1/220 kits are better for more less known designs or designs that never get a plastic Bandai version. There were some 1/100 Kondoh resin kits though, the Goblin and Zeta Gustav, which HF sells recasts of. I would have loved a 1/100 Breda kit, it is one of Kondoh's best designs, IMO.

#11 Michael

Michael

Gunpla NoobCake

• 1,200 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:26 PM

Hey Knife-Edge!! Is there any other way i could get my hands on that original kit Super ZZ Gundam? Its what I have been looking out for!! Or else, I will try to get Tradezone's ZZ Gundam.

#12 Knife-Edge

Knife-Edge

Member v.4

• 476 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:03 PM

View PostMichael, on Jun 24 2007, 09:26 PM, said:

Hey Knife-Edge!! Is there any other way i could get my hands on that original kit Super ZZ Gundam? Its what I have been looking out for!! Or else, I will try to get Tradezone's ZZ Gundam.

Sorry, :( I don't sell my kits (only trade :P ). I actually wanted to add some pictures about the Quality of the casting. That would have made it easier to decide either to get the recast or wait until an original pop up at Yahoo Auction or Ebay. But somehow I messed up the Photobucket links. I'll fix it as soon as I'm at home.

The original casting wasn't that great. There are several staggered deviding lines on the leg, shoulder and body parts. If the recast looks fine without 1mm parts seperationsthan I would recommend a bootleg.

Knife-Edge

#13 Guest_kyle1281989_*

Guest_kyle1281989_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:55 AM

I'd say that kondo kit are in 1/220 scale more often than say 1/100 scale because the details. Kondo variants all have rounded/simplified parts that in normal trems might consist of panneling and detail galore. So when these designs are in an increaased scale they would become boring do to the lack of details that arent in the original designs... :MSZ-006:

#14 Knife-Edge

Knife-Edge

Member v.4

• 476 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:59 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

The photo-etched parts.
Posted Image Posted Image

#15 Xavadis

Xavadis

Member v.4

• 476 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:12 AM

View Postteradafamily, on Jun 25 2007, 04:43 AM, said:

Xavadis if you can post those pictures that would be great, I'm waiting for the feedback of the kit too, so if there'll still be one available I may think about getting it...

Here are some pages. I got my ZZ from TradeZone, pretty nice, he even photoetched the original PE parts (some recasters just cast them in resin or omit them)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users