Mixing Mr. Color paints

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Amuro Ray

Amuro Ray

Member v.5

• 1,117 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:52 PM

Hello guys and gals, this is my very first post here. I've done some searches but cannot exactly find the answer to my questions, maybe they are too dumb?

First of all. I just hand brush parts of my MGs at the moment, can't afford a spray gun... Anyways...

I got a few questions about paints. I am using some Mr. Color paint, what is the cheapest/ best way to mix and thin these paints.  I have a small bottle of Mr. Thinner but that sucker costs me $5, so looking for alteratives.  It seems like I can use Rubbing Alcohol to thin down Acrylic paint but not Mr Color Lacquer paint, is that right?  I've tried lighter fluid, as suggested by some other web sites, but that did not work, got the paint in solid chunks instead....

My 2nd question about mixing paints is how do you guys make sure you get the correct amount of different paints.  I tried to use the brush to dip into the bottle once, twice or 3 times depends on the % of that color I need. Then use another brush for another color and  repeat BUT then I soon run out of brushes. Plus I really don't want to wash too many things.  Any suggestions?

And how much "Thinner" to paint ratio do you guys suggest for both Mr Color and  Taniya Acrylic?

That's all I can think of about mix paints.  I found using Mr. Color is easier in terms of leaving no brush marks, I tried using Tamiya and mixed with that rubbing alcohol, 2/3 99% + 1/3 70%, but brush marks seem more visible.  Is that true?  If that is something that I am doing wrong, I would really like some suggestion, other than buying a spray gun  :P ....
I'd really prefer using Tamiya Acrylic if the brush  mark problem can be eliminated 'cause it's so much easier to clean off than Lacquer.

Lastly where can I get paints from (Markham/ Scarbo area) other than PMall?  I looked at advance hobbies the other day, I can't say they don't have the selection (in terms  of acrylic) but the bottles are all dusty and all, are they there forever and dried up? Btw their prices are not cheaper than PMall, $2.75 for a Tamiya Acrylic + TAX!! Yikes.

So here is my first post, I am looking foward to some suggestions from the Pros here! Thanks!

Btw, I got some questions on decals but I guess that's another topic?!  ;)

#2 GameraBaenre

GameraBaenre

Banned Asshole

• 2,773 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:17 PM

View PostAmuro Ray, on Sep 12 2007, 07:52 PM, said:

I got a few questions about paints. I am using some Mr. Color paint, what is the cheapest/ best way to mix and thin these paints.  I have a small bottle of Mr. Thinner but that sucker costs me $5, so looking for alteratives.  It seems like I can use Rubbing Alcohol to thin down Acrylic paint but not Mr Color Lacquer paint, is that right?  I've tried lighter fluid, as suggested by some other web sites, but that did not work, got the paint in solid chunks instead....
Lighterfluid is for thinning oil based paints such as enamels.  Not solvent based paints which are what Mr Color lacquer paints are.  The best thing to thin Mr Color is Mr Color thinner.  If you are hand painting, I recommend against using Mr Color since lacquers are really formulated for airbrushing.  I recommend thinning with Mr Leveling Thinner which slows down the drying time.

If you are planning on hand brushing for a while, I recommend using enamel paints since they dry much slower and brush strokes will be eliminated.

My 2nd question about mixing paints is how do you guys make sure you get the correct amount of different paints.  I tried to use the brush to dip into the bottle once, twice or 3 times depends on the % of that color I need. Then use another brush for another color and  repeat BUT then I soon run out of brushes. Plus I really don't want to wash too many things.  Any suggestions?
Go to your local drug store and buy some medicine droppers.  You can then easily mix by drops or volume of paint in the eye dropper.

And how much "Thinner" to paint ratio do you guys suggest for both Mr Color and  Taniya Acrylic?
For hand brushing, this varies.  For airbrushing, I typically mix at 2 parts paint to 3 parts thinner.

That's all I can think of about mix paints.  I found using Mr. Color is easier in terms of leaving no brush marks, I tried using Tamiya and mixed with that rubbing alcohol, 2/3 99% + 1/3 70%, but brush marks seem more visible.  Is that true?  If that is something that I am doing wrong, I would really like some suggestion, other than buying a spray gun  :P ....
I'd really prefer using Tamiya Acrylic if the brush  mark problem can be eliminated 'cause it's so much easier to clean off than Lacquer.
Tamiya acrylics are formulated for airbrushing as well.  I recommend exploring other acrylics such as Model Masters.  Or switching over to enamel paints.  Acrylic paints dry very quickly, but take a long time to fully cure.

Belkar Bitterleaf, on OOTS #476, said:

I an a sexy shoeless god of cooking too.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Amuro Ray

Amuro Ray

Member v.5

• 1,117 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:44 PM

View PostGameraBaenre, on Sep 12 2007, 11:17 PM, said:

Lighterfluid is for thinning oil based paints such as enamels.  Not solvent based paints which are what Mr Color lacquer paints are.  The best thing to thin Mr Color is Mr Color thinner.  If you are hand painting, I recommend against using Mr Color since lacquers are really formulated for airbrushing.  I recommend thinning with Mr Leveling Thinner which slows down the drying time.

If you are planning on hand brushing for a while, I recommend using enamel paints since they dry much slower and brush strokes will be eliminated.

What brand of enamel paint do you suggest or and/ where can I get them in Toronto? And will I use lighter fluid to thin that or can I then use the rubbing alcohol 99% +70%?

Go to your local drug store and buy some medicine droppers.  You can then easily mix by drops or volume of paint in the eye dropper.
I actually tried this method last night, maybe I was not doing it right. I need one for each color right?  But it seems pretty hard to wash them off ( I was using Mr Color last nite), do they have to be sparkling clean or just so so? I was using the Recordsol Paint Thinner I bought from Home Depot last nite to clean, not sure if it is good.

Tamiya acrylics are formulated for airbrushing as well.  I recommend exploring other acrylics such as Model Masters.  Or switching over to enamel paints.  Acrylic paints dry very quickly, but take a long time to fully cure.
This is so true.

Thanks GameraBaenre for such quick reply!!  :)

#4 Deckard

Deckard

• 38 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:27 PM

The only success I have had thinning Mr. Color is with Mr. Color thinner and their retarded thinner.
I have tried many different brands of lacquer thinner to no avail.
It seems to me Gunze Sangyo has some "secret" solvent base for their paints.
They make fantastic paints and I love them but am stuck buying THEIR thinner.

However, I do use a cheap brand of lacquer thinner for cleaning my airbrushes !
At least I saved a buck there ...

#5 dj898

dj898

Old Type

• 867 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:27 PM

View PostGameraBaenre, on Sep 13 2007, 01:17 PM, said:

Also if you use together with Tamiya Acrylics thinner the smell is much more reduced...
Of coz I still wear 3M mask with paint filter~

For thinning Mr Colour I use the multi-purpose thinner from local hardware store and it works well...
I used to use Mr Colour thinner but after ran out and didn't have time to go out to get another one I tested with the thinner I use for cleaning AB and it worked quite well...

For metal finish I like to use Metallizer as this is already formulated for AB use and you just simply pour into AB and spray away...

#6 lexesbenz

lexesbenz

lexesbenz

• 1,217 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:45 PM

Vallejo paints are excellent for handbrushing I use 1 drop of thinner per drop of paint, you can also use distilled water to thin, and I have never had any problems with brush strokes, the best place to find them would be something like a games workshop that sells warhammer and stuff like that

#7 dj898

dj898

Old Type

• 867 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:32 PM

I sometimes use Citadel Foundation paint for base coat as it is excellent for that...
however it's rather expensive side...

Thanks for the tip.
I will check the Games Shop for Vallejo as I was told this is very good for AB too~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users