• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 beertax

beertax

Committed Member

• 1,960 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:41 PM

Hi,

I am trying to bend styrene parts, but have so far failed.  I tried boiling water like resin - I dipped the styrene in boiling water for 15 sec than tried to bend - but that doesn't seem to work.  So what do the experts here do for bending styrene?
My Updated Gunpla Sale (updated 9-24-2011)

MY RX-78-2 Artillery Custom WIP

Click on images below to see my Finished Works:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Guest_Zen-Builder_*

Guest_Zen-Builder_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:49 PM

Depends on the size and shape.

For large sheets and long objects I run them over a sharp metal edge while bending them. Works for the droop on helicopter Blades.

Another option is to gently head the plastic and bend it.
Example: To bend the fender on a military vehicle I use an incence stick to heat the plastic. You can also use a lighter but it is easy to meld the plastic.

Of course thickness of the plastic also comes into play some parts you will need to be thinned a bit.

But in general you will need to heat the parts can be a stove-plate, etc.

#3 beertax

beertax

Committed Member

• 1,960 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

The sheets I have are 0.010 and 0.020'' in size.  Very thin, 0.010 is almost see thru like paper.

So there is no other way than to bend them directly over heat huh?  Troublesome, but alright :(
My Updated Gunpla Sale (updated 9-24-2011)

MY RX-78-2 Artillery Custom WIP

Click on images below to see my Finished Works:

#4 Guest_Zen-Builder_*

Guest_Zen-Builder_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:34 PM

Yes, you will need a direct heat source.

#5 Redstang

Redstang

Member v.3

• 258 posts
  • Interests:I love automobiles. I am an automotive artist. car models are the one's I do the most, though at time's I do Mecha and space ships.

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:56 PM

How are you trying to bend it?  Can you just not use your hands.  You know, bend it cold, the old fashion way.

#6 Syberz

Syberz

Supreme Leader of the Universe

• 493 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

I usually heat the plastic over a bare lightbulb.
Posted Image

#7 johnnydx

johnnydx

• 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:20 AM

Not sure if it'll work, but how about a really strong hair dryer for heating the plastic? I've had one melt one of those black plastic combs while drying my hair... I can only imagine what it did to my scalp!

#8 MarkW

MarkW

Plastic Surgeon v2

• 4,704 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:32 AM

Man up and put your back into it.  If that doesn't work, try HGH.  Have your mom do it for you.

If that doesn't work, controlled direct heat.  An open flame would be a bad idea, and boiling water doesn't get hot enough.

It would be helpful to know what shape you need it bent to.
MarkW

A shadow shall fall over the universe, and evil will grow in its path, and death will come from the skies

"I can cross stab Hitler to death off the list of cool crap I thought I'd never do"
--Brock Sampson

Posted Image
Gamera's Mecha/Figure model board

Posted Image

#9 machine mess

machine mess

a very patient man

• 728 posts
  • Interests:manga, The Pillows, anime, modeling, blogging, my wife and son

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:47 AM

I have used the following:

bare low wattage (40ish) light bulbs

my ceramic-top stove + tinfoil to make sure the styrene doesn't melt right onto the cook-top

Paint stripping heat gun

molten lead core solder - this last one was an accident and I wouldn't recommend trying it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users