How to use Testors Metalizer paints

4 replies to this topic

#1 Omegaprime

Omegaprime

• 32 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Models of all types, painting, etc.

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:28 PM

Does anyone know how to use the Testors Metalizer paints? I bought the Bronze and Gunmetal colors the Metalizer Thinner and the Metalizer Sealer. I want to paint my Hiku Shiki the Bronze color. What kind of base coat do I use? White or Black?  Then my Bronze says non-buffing on it, so I take it no buffing is required and it will be nice and shiny when I am done? I have looked all over the net and can't find out any information on these paints. Finally do you have to thin the paint out any? Or is the thinner for just cleaning your airbrush. Any information would be great! Thanks!

#2 BronxRumble5

BronxRumble5

Low-frequency sonic disruptor

• 489 posts
  • Interests:Models: Mecha, General SF, Cars, Aircraft, Gaming Mini's. Music: Bass Guitar, Electric Guitar, Computer Based Recording

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:34 PM

It's been while since I've used them, but I don't imagine any major changes since then.  When I used it, there was a pamphlet available that said:

Metallizers are for use on bare plastic, base-coats were not recommended.  If your Hyaku Shiki is a plated one, you'll need to strip it first.

Metallizers are airbrush ready straight from the bottle.  Thinners are just for cleaning.

Buffing metallizers need to be buffed after drying to get the "metallic" look.  Non-buffing metallizers do not require buffing.

From my experience, I would recommend sealing with a clear coat, metallizers will rub off really easy with any kind of handling.

HTH
Posted Image

"Plastic parts and glue, doing everything I can do, to build the robots.
They're filling up the room, 'cause all that I ever do is, build the robots."
Dr. Steel, Build the Robots

#3 Omegaprime

Omegaprime

• 32 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Models of all types, painting, etc.

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:31 PM

Sweet! Thanks for the advice, I have a Model Masters Metalizer Lacquer Sealer Can for the clear coat. That is what I needed. Thanks!

#4 dj898

dj898

Old Type

• 867 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:45 PM

from memory you can get the clear coat for the Non-buffing metallizers but not for the buffing metallizers... apparently you will lose that metallic sheen~~

#5 Icon1

Icon1

Member v.4

• 533 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:47 AM

Metallizers have thier own thinner, which you do need. They also have a sealer which you spray over the metalic paint, after that top coats are fine if you want to.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users