Hobby shops in northern Jersey

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Admiral558

Admiral558

airbrush newbie

• 28 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:54 AM

Thought I'd make my first post a useful one since I don't see any shop descriptions for New Jersey.  Has anyone found a shop that sells a decent selection of gundam models?  I used to have a store in Willowbrook or Rockaway mall, but they had closed ~10 years ago.

Hobby Hut
567 State Rt 23
Pompton Plains, NJ 07444
(973) 835-2077
Run by a nice gal named Linda.  They are mostly geared towards rc planes but carry a good supply of revel/tamiya plastic cars with the occasional motorcycle.  Also a few wooden planes and boats and some basic diorama pieces.  Decent selection of Taimya paints and other enamels but not all of the colors.  No trains or gundam models carried

Kenvil Hobbies
590 Us Highway 46
Kenvil, NJ
A small shop geared towards rc cars but has a good selection of plastic planes, tanks and cars and hobby magazines.  Just picked up their last bike - YZR500.  Again no trains or gundam models.

F&M Hobbies
3118 Route 10 West
Denville, NJ 07834
A tiny hole in the wall shop on the lower level of a small building.  This shop is geared mainly towards trains, dioramas and tanks/planes/aircraft carriers etc.  They have a good selection of paint, both enamel and acrylic, with many more colors than the previous two shops.  Once again no trains or gundam models.

Unknown store name - across from Mitsuwa food market
595 River Rd
Edgewater, NJ 07020
There is a small toy shop across from the Mitsuwa food market on River Road in Edgewater.  They have a very small selection of HG grade and 1-2 MG or PG gundam models

Will add more as I visit them.  I'm working off of www.hobbyretailer.com and the local yellow pages.

#2 mechamasterj

mechamasterj

Member v.2

• 118 posts
  • Interests:Car modding, Models, Anime, Mixed martial arts, Asian Cinema, toy collecting.

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:40 PM

I have had a hard time finding any gunpla stores (or any anime related stores for that matter) in the NJ area.

Hobby Masters
Red Bank, NJ

Lots of hobby related items, but deals mainly in model trains, plains, and tanks.  They do have a small overpriced selection of gunpla though, but carry tons of modeling supplies (mr. hobby among them).

Jackson's Hobby shop
Jackson, NJ

Deals mainly with RC items and model cars, trains, etc.  No gunpla though but there are supplies to be found.

#3 Annwyd

Annwyd

• 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:19 AM

I would add that the shop in Mitsuwa Marketplace is very overpriced--for example, I got a GN Archer kit there for $30 that a friend later found at Otakon for $10.

#4 Ardas

Ardas

• 8 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:52 PM

Sorry to ressurect an old post but I just wanted to give a heads-up to hobbyist in Northern NJ. F&M Hobbies now stocks GSI Creos/Mr. Color paints. These are the lacquer ones, not the aqueous/acrylic paints, and they have almost all the colors available. They also have the regular thinner, but not the leveling thinner. Gonna have to talk to the owner to start stocking them too. As far as gundam kits, they do have a couple available, most noteworthy was the HG Kshatriya and MG Wing TV ver. Reasonable prices too. I myself live about 45 min. to an hour away, but will happily drive there for the paints.

I'd like to thank stryderprime for letting me know about F&M stocking the paints. He did a "support your local hobby store video" in his youtube channel for this hobby store last year. So, stryder, if you're a member here under a different user name and sees this post, thanks for the heads-up.  :thumbup1:

#5 KREternal2

KREternal2

さあ、地獄を楽し

• 75 posts
  • Interests:Gunpla, Art, cartoons, comics, video games

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:08 AM

Thanks for mentioning F and M hobbies!

That place is about 15 minutes from my house! They have a small selection of Gunpla but they'll order it for you and they much cheaper than that Mitsuwa Market Place

Posted Image

#6 KREternal2

KREternal2

さあ、地獄を楽し

• 75 posts
  • Interests:Gunpla, Art, cartoons, comics, video games

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

Some of the stuff they have at mitsuwa

VERY OVER PRICED

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 JetSetKuro

JetSetKuro

• 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

My apologies for reviving an old thread but, just like the OP I would like to make my first post in these forums a useful one. I have been to a couple of shops in Northern Jersey that have a respectable quantity of Gunpla and accessories.

The first is New World Manga in Livingston, N.J.

http://www.newworldmanga.com/

These guys have a decent selection of Gunpla and some Gundam Markers as well as accessories. They aren't the cheapest in town but aren't too bad for a small shop.

Lastly, there is Mapplewood Hobby in Maplewood, N.J.

http://www.maplewoodhobby.com/

These guys mostly specialize in Warhammer figures and Model Planes/Cars but are beginning to carry Gunpla. They also have a nice stock of Tamiya acrylic paint and sprays as well as  many other accessories.

I hope to be able to talk to some Gunpla fans from Northern New Jersey as well. I hope this has been helpful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users