MG Nightingale and Hi Nu conversion kits

3 replies to this topic

#1 Brettz

Brettz

• 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:53 PM

Hi guys (i'm new here and fairly new to the hobby)I've been snapping for a few years but i never really got into the painting. As of late i painted a strike freedom, Which i will put in the WIP for some tips. Now onto the topic, I was looking into the Nightingale (http://www.e2046.com...roducts_id=7381) and the Hi-Nu conversion kits, what i was wondering is: How much extra work is required to make them compatible with their respective kits? Is it just Sanding, or will i need to do other mods to make them fit like pinning, etc.
Any personal experiences with the kits would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Brett

#2 beertax

beertax

Committed Member

• 1,960 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:07 AM

having done the VP Hi Nu conversion, I can verify that you will need to at least "pin" the heavy fuel tanks to the backpack.  The resin sockets are just too fraggile to hold those heavy things in place.

As for the rest of the VP Hi Nu, as with most other conversion kits you will need to do some significant pre-priming work.  First, all the parts will need to be put in a bath of grease-removing wash (I use purple power) for at least 24 hours or the primer will not stick.  Than each part will require cutting away the resin nub, and sanding to make the cut section smooth.  Also, any flash part will also need sanding.  Finally, e2046 casts are bad and typically pretty warped so I bet some of resin parts like the rifle parts, fuel tanks, and v-fin, will need to be straightened (as in put them hot water and re-straighten the parts).  And after priming, at least for the VP Hi Nu kit, some of the parts need some extensive masking to paint each detail in different colors.  All in all, I estimate I spent close to 50-60 hours of work on my VP Hi Nu (the decalling alone took 10 hours)

My finished VP Hi Nu is linked in my sig, so you can check it... maybe it will give you an idea of how much work I put in.  I'm not trying to discourage you, just being realistic.  Anyway good luck.
My Updated Gunpla Sale (updated 9-24-2011)

MY RX-78-2 Artillery Custom WIP

Click on images below to see my Finished Works:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Brettz

Brettz

• 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:23 AM

I was hoping you would see this post beertax because yours was the hi nu that inspired me haha, is there a better place to get the conversion kits from?

Thanks for the info
Brett

#4 beertax

beertax

Committed Member

• 1,960 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:21 AM

I think you should ask hobbyfan... they carry SMS recasts which are the best recasts out there.  Even if they don't have the ones you are looking for hobbyfan may be able to get you a special order.  Failing that you can check ebay or the personal trading section of this site.
My Updated Gunpla Sale (updated 9-24-2011)

MY RX-78-2 Artillery Custom WIP

Click on images below to see my Finished Works:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users