Fake Nendoroids

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shuffle

Shuffle

Member v.1

• 93 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

Well heres a preface of the questions I'm going to ask.  
First, let me start off by saying the majority of my model collection is made of SDs.  So I have a fascination with cute and super deformed figures.  And don't call me a lolicon, lol.  I've actually gotten that before.
Combined with me being an anime fan, it pretty much results in me liking Nendoroids.

Now, if you know about Nendoroids, you would know they cost a CRAP ton and, many times, they are on very, very short production schedules.  A newly released nonexclusive Nendoroid is about 40 dollars before shipping (going by HLJ) and, depending on the character, are in stock in most stores for about half a year TOPS.  

The figures are only about four inches tall, which is about the same height as a newer Gundam SD.  So you get the proportion in scale and price.

Once the particular figure become discontinued, they can sometimes go for hundreds of dollars.

So not only are they super expensive to start out with, they become super rare and even more expensive over time.

The only avenue to get a figure like, say, the L or Yoko Nendoroids are through Chinese knockoffs on eBay.  They are cheap and seemingly in endless supply.

So if you're still reading this (sorry to those that didn't make it, lol), here are my questions for those that own Nendoroids:
1) Are the quality of the Nendoroids horrible?  
2) If the quality isn't completely terrible, are the aspects that are lacking improvable?  I know all fake Nendoroids have this cheap plastic sheen to them.  So would a layer of matte topcoat make it look better?
3) Does the cheap and the fact that they are still being produced justify getting them?  Or would you rather hope GSC release the figure?

For those that stuck with me but don't own fake Nendoroids:
1) Under these conditions, would you consider buying a knockoff?  
2) If you did buy it, would you feel cheap or inferior?  
Even though its massively petty to belittle yourself for something so minor, I actually would think of myself a little less for owning a fake, lol.
I actually own one knockoff model kit.  I built it, painted it, and fixed the crap out of the articulation.  If you don't use it as a football, you wouldn't even know the difference.  But looking at it, and then comparing it to the kits around it just makes me regret not having the real one.

And if you have real Nendoroids, or just as a general question:
1) Do you look down on those that buy, or even consider to buy fakes?  
For example.  If you won a kit and someone owns a TT Hongli kit of the same build.  Would you think less of him?  Lol.
Now I'm not going to really care what others think of me if I owned a fake.  But I'm just curious towards the whole knockoff-authentic mentality.

I know it has been hard on you guys to make it this far, so thanks for reading, lol.

#2 kuro41

kuro41

friendly neighborhood spiderman

• 2,352 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:05 PM

Well my brother-in-law bought the saber lily nendoroid off ebay for $8 and i must say we both agree that its crap compared to the real thing. The joints are wonky, the painting is half-assed and her stand won't even hold her up. so i say its worth it to lay down $40 for a real one when it comes out. I preordered all the ones i have from amiami. The first ones i got were L and Misa.
Posted Image

Horati of the Frost Hills said:

Kuro is God.

I'm totally brainwashing you into being a katoki fanatic XD

#3 Shuffle

Shuffle

Member v.1

• 93 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

How are amiami's shipping costs?

#4 kuro41

kuro41

friendly neighborhood spiderman

• 2,352 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:58 PM

They offer both sal and EMS, sal being the cheaper of the two but it does have a size limit. i think my last package (which was a pretty big box) cost around $15 to ship. Plus they have 50% off shipping promos alot.

Edited by kuro41, 19 July 2010 - 09:59 PM.

Posted Image

Horati of the Frost Hills said:

Kuro is God.

I'm totally brainwashing you into being a katoki fanatic XD

#5 woodchuck

woodchuck

Member v.2

• 124 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

it frustrating when a nendoroid you are looking for is out of production.
as a collector - part of the fun is trying to find it. the downside is paying the premium for it.  
i agree with kuro, the real ones are worth the price.

#6 divinelight

divinelight

n00b modeller

• 151 posts
  • Interests:Gunpla building, Game making

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:51 PM

I would say, knockoff is a big mistake, you'll even hate the entire line (like you hate nendo after trying knockoff, or hate gunpla after trying knockoff and all)

go for Nendoroid Petit, they are like Kiwami version of SIC (smaller but with good details)

#7 SushiSage

SushiSage

• 11 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:58 PM

Paid about 26 for the shana nendo on ebay.
Not bad if you can find what you're looking for on ebay. Just gotta be careful to watch who you're buying from.

#8 jamilv

jamilv

• 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

So if you're still reading this (sorry to those that didn't make it, lol), here are my questions for those that own Nendoroids:
1) Are the quality of the Nendoroids horrible?
2) If the quality isn't completely terrible, are the aspects that are lacking improvable? I know all fake Nendoroids have this cheap plastic sheen to them. So would a layer of matte topcoat make it look better?
3) Does the cheap and the fact that they are still being produced justify getting them? Or would you rather hope GSC release the figure?

1) Quality of the ones I have bought are comparable to the real ones. Specifically I bought Ore No Imouto nendroids the real ones and fake ones. Comparing them side to side there are only slight differences really, for the price I would say fakes are good if you need to populate your collection on the cheap or want to buy a figure that is sold out or something. I have been using my fakes as display figures while I keep the real ones in box stored away.  Btw prices for the ones I bought (Kirino & Kuroneko) from Ore No Imouto, I paid $12 each for the knockoffs and $50 each for the real ones, but they were second hand.

2) I would say the detail could be a bit better, you notice some of the replaceable faces arent the same detailed quality as the real ones, but its nothing noticeable unless you are staring at them from like 4-5 inches away. None of my fakes had the plastic sheen to them, but I may have just been lucky with the supplier.

3) The fake figures I have bought I only got because the real ones were way out of my budget or the figures I want were limited edition and are sold out (Eg. some of the Working!! figures I want of Taneshima and Inami are always sold out everywhere so I bought the knock offs, but because I love the series I would still buy the real ones if they ever show up).

Feel free to ask any more questions if you wish. I can send you some pictures of the fake big size figures I have bought as well if you want to see the quality. But it really is you get what you pay for with the fakes, you cant spend $6 for a nendroid knock off and expect the same quality as the $50 one but I noticed a couple bucks with the fakes really makes a difference. Like the difference between a $6 and $10 knock off is quite huge.

EDIT: @Shuffle >> I just ordered a Taneshima set from AmiAmi, it is a pretty small box, it has like 9 figures that are half the size of a nendroid in it and it was 2200 Yen for shipping from them to Canada. Not too bad considering I have paid like $25 for 1 nendroid box shipped from the US to me in Canada lol
Oh and that is EMS, I am sure its a bit less with SAL.

Edited by jamilv, 04 November 2011 - 08:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users