• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#1 Caboose

Caboose

LOOK, A DISTRACTION!!!!!

• 1,429 posts
  • Interests:Gundams, Samurai, Drifting, Drag Racing

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:39 AM

So got this idea from gundam eclipse.. but I want to rant about it.. and others can feel free to post their little peeves here as well.

Had a customer call me (I work tech support for websites) and start yelling at me telling me I didn't know how to do my job and that what I was telling them was a load of crap. The customer ended up deleting a few things on his website and moving things where they shouldn't go. I asked him what he did and He spat back saying he did exactly as I told him. When I responded that I didn't tell him to delete anything he got upset again. I told him to walk me through exactly what he did.. It was nothing like what I had explained. When I re explained what i wanted him to do the customer called me a smart ass and hung up.

some people these days... seriously.

Kiske said:

That makes caboose the master race

Posted Image

#2 kajnrig

kajnrig

Committed Member

• 1,809 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

...you know, at first I thought you were going to rant specifically about "things that piss you off," ie you were going to rant about us ranting. Honestly, I am a bit disappointed. :P

But no, customer service always, ALWAYS seems to attract that 1% of retarded Americans who exist solely to make life harder for everybody else, no?

I had myself (work at a gas station, you see) a guy a month or two back who--well, let me rewind. I was helping out a regular customer - let's call her Amy, and she happened to be really cute, but that's another matter entirely - and my coworker was helping someone else on the other register. The aforementioned guy - let's call him Brian, though he looks like perhaps a Paul with a bit of Dan mixed in, but what his real name is, I don't fully care - waits behind my coworker's register for a bit, comes to mine while I'm still helping Amy. As we're talking and I'm ringing her items up, he slaps down $60, says, "Put that on pump 3 for me," and leaves.

I and Amy give him an odd look, I shrug, and we continue our transaction. As soon as that's finished, I hurriedly try to get his request in, but as it turns out, I accidentally put the $60 on the wrong pump. Through the window and through the door, I can see him getting agitated and hear him cursing up a storm, his eyes trained squarely on me. I shrug, not thinking much of it - because who am I to care if he has to wait a bit? - and quickly switch the payment to his pump.

The same moment I switch it over, he storms in and states, very matter-of-factly, "You gonna turn on my pump? Maybe if you weren't busy staring at some girl, you could actually help people." Let's ignore the fact that he was partially correct - Amy WAS very cute, as I mentioned before, as well as charming, but I have enough professional integrity to know how to do my job (and, unfortunately, she also has a boyfriend whom she clearly loves very much and who clearly loves her back). Let's ignore the fact, too, that he had interrupted us in the middle of our transaction, and let's ignore the fact that it was only common courtesy for me to finish with Amy before moving on to help him.

Ignoring those facts, I tell him as calmly as I can, "Sir, I put it on the wrong pump. That was my fault. It's been switched over now. You can go ahead and pump." He gives me that glare a simpleton might give to an educated man who chooses to drink a draft beer instead of moonshine made with distilled harpy's blood and the fermented watery contents of a spare tire... or to make the analogy better fit this audience, he gives me the glare that a prototype Zaku I might give to a Zaku II who keeps throwing the firecrackers at the enemy and doesn't understand that you're supposed to hold onto them and run around going, "Wheeeeee," and exits the store to pump his gas.

A few minutes later, my coworker goes outside to help another customer with a propane tank exchange, and Brian turns his attention to him. Some rather crude words seem to issue forth from his mouth, and I have the intense urge to shut off his pump, give him his change, and tell him to take his business elsewhere. However, my coworker returns unscathed and we wait patiently for him to finish pumping his gas.

While he's pumping, Amy returns - she purchased the wrong pack of cigarettes, apparently - and we talk a bit more. She mentions something about Michael Jackson and "Man in the Mirror," I sing what little of the refrain I know, and we have a good laugh, partly at my bad rendition and partly at the fact that it's Michael Jackson and you just can't go wrong with Michael Jackson even if you sound like a mule trapped in a sound room with three sheep and a porcupine. Then she leaves as Brian finishes pumping, and he comes in, still irate. By now, I figure it's all behind us, he must have gotten whatever stick was plugging his colon out, so I ask, in my usual merchant-y humor, "Got some change coming back to you, eh?"

"Maybe if you weren't distracted by a pair of tits, you'd be able to do your job," is the response, and I am, to say the least, flabbergasted. To be more succinct, however, I suppose I should admit that I am pissed right the fuck off.

"Look, sir, you should have waited your turn. You came in and threw your money down on the counter while I was helping that 'pair of tits.' And I still tried to help you out, and I put it on the wrong pump, and I apologized for it. Now here's your change, and you can take your business elsewhere. I don't want to see you here again." This I say between angry comments and sarcastic retorts.

"I know your boss," Brian replies.

"I know him, too," I answer.

"You're the employee, I'm the customer. Just do your job." And, saying that, he leaves. I suppose it was his way of coming out on top - having the final word, if you will - but if that's what it took for him to feel like a man, then that was fine by me.

He had a large schooner trailing behind his truck, though, so perhaps it's more accurate to just call him a ponce. A large and impatient ponce.

I have yet to see him return, and I am a bit disappointed by that fact. I would have liked to finish our conversation, and if things were to lead to some sort of physical altercation, well, then by Jove, I think I would make peace with my conscience and would have no objection to that.

Edited by kajnrig, 05 October 2011 - 02:33 PM.

#3 Newb2gunpla

Newb2gunpla

Member v.2

• 174 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

View Postkajnrig, on 05 October 2011 - 02:32 PM, said:

...you know, at first I thought you were going to rant specifically about "things that piss you off," ie you were going to rant about us ranting. Honestly, I am a bit disappointed. :P

But no, customer service always, ALWAYS seems to attract that 1% of retarded Americans who exist solely to make life harder for everybody else, no?

I had myself (work at a gas station, you see) a guy a month or two back who--well, let me rewind. I was helping out a regular customer - let's call her Amy, and she happened to be really cute, but that's another matter entirely - and my coworker was helping someone else on the other register. The aforementioned guy - let's call him Brian, though he looks like perhaps a Paul with a bit of Dan mixed in, but what his real name is, I don't fully care - waits behind my coworker's register for a bit, comes to mine while I'm still helping Amy. As we're talking and I'm ringing her items up, he slaps down $60, says, "Put that on pump 3 for me," and leaves.

I and Amy give him an odd look, I shrug, and we continue our transaction. As soon as that's finished, I hurriedly try to get his request in, but as it turns out, I accidentally put the $60 on the wrong pump. Through the window and through the door, I can see him getting agitated and hear him cursing up a storm, his eyes trained squarely on me. I shrug, not thinking much of it - because who am I to care if he has to wait a bit? - and quickly switch the payment to his pump.

The same moment I switch it over, he storms in and states, very matter-of-factly, "You gonna turn on my pump? Maybe if you weren't busy staring at some girl, you could actually help people." Let's ignore the fact that he was partially correct - Amy WAS very cute, as I mentioned before, as well as charming, but I have enough professional integrity to know how to do my job (and, unfortunately, she also has a boyfriend whom she clearly loves very much and who clearly loves her back). Let's ignore the fact, too, that he had interrupted us in the middle of our transaction, and let's ignore the fact that it was only common courtesy for me to finish with Amy before moving on to help him.

Ignoring those facts, I tell him as calmly as I can, "Sir, I put it on the wrong pump. That was my fault. It's been switched over now. You can go ahead and pump." He gives me that glare a simpleton might give to an educated man who chooses to drink a draft beer instead of moonshine made with distilled harpy's blood and the fermented watery contents of a spare tire... or to make the analogy better fit this audience, he gives me the glare that a prototype Zaku I might give to a Zaku II who keeps throwing the firecrackers at the enemy and doesn't understand that you're supposed to hold onto them and run around going, "Wheeeeee," and exits the store to pump his gas.

A few minutes later, my coworker goes outside to help another customer with a propane tank exchange, and Brian turns his attention to him. Some rather crude words seem to issue forth from his mouth, and I have the intense urge to shut off his pump, give him his change, and tell him to take his business elsewhere. However, my coworker returns unscathed and we wait patiently for him to finish pumping his gas.

While he's pumping, Amy returns - she purchased the wrong pack of cigarettes, apparently - and we talk a bit more. She mentions something about Michael Jackson and "Man in the Mirror," I sing what little of the refrain I know, and we have a good laugh, partly at my bad rendition and partly at the fact that it's Michael Jackson and you just can't go wrong with Michael Jackson even if you sound like a mule trapped in a sound room with three sheep and a porcupine. Then she leaves as Brian finishes pumping, and he comes in, still irate. By now, I figure it's all behind us, he must have gotten whatever stick was plugging his colon out, so I ask, in my usual merchant-y humor, "Got some change coming back to you, eh?"

"Maybe if you weren't distracted by a pair of tits, you'd be able to do your job," is the response, and I am, to say the least, flabbergasted. To be more succinct, however, I suppose I should admit that I am pissed right the fuck off.

"Look, sir, you should have waited your turn. You came in and threw your money down on the counter while I was helping that 'pair of tits.' And I still tried to help you out, and I put it on the wrong pump, and I apologized for it. Now here's your change, and you can take your business elsewhere. I don't want to see you here again." This I say between angry comments and sarcastic retorts.

"I know your boss," Brian replies.

"I know him, too," I answer.

"You're the employee, I'm the customer. Just do your job." And, saying that, he leaves. I suppose it was his way of coming out on top - having the final word, if you will - but if that's what it took for him to feel like a man, then that was fine by me.

He had a large schooner trailing behind his truck, though, so perhaps it's more accurate to just call him a ponce. A large and impatient ponce.

I have yet to see him return, and I am a bit disappointed by that fact. I would have liked to finish our conversation, and if things were to lead to some sort of physical altercation, well, then by Jove, I think I would make peace with my conscience and would have no objection to that.

Seems like a series of misunderstandings. I'm guessing that guy was either having a bad day or maybe he's just really a complete ass.
If only we can have a trans am burst irl all the misunderstandings between people will end.

#4 kajnrig

kajnrig

Committed Member

• 1,809 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

According to my coworker before he left us for school in Ohio, he's just really a complete ass. I can detect someone having a bad day, and I can forgive them being rude for it; that said, I can also detect someone who's just used to being, as you say, a complete ass, and I find it much harder to forgive them being rude for that. There was, I would wager, a five-second delay between him coming in and him slapping the bills on the countertop, so I don't think "being in line for too long" was the problem, either.

And again, he had a big fuck-all yacht attached to the back of a full-sized truck. That gives me the impression that he's fairly well off, and most men of some wealth that I know are decently reasonable and patient people. There's no reason why he shouldn't have been, either, save for he was just used to being the fly in someone's soup.

#5 halcyon666

halcyon666

• 307 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:12 PM

Why do I get the impression that most of the work related rants in this thread are gonna be about the customers?  :lol:

Anyway, my turn. I work as a bartender in a guest house/restaurant/wedding venue that, unfortunately, is just the right mix of "everyday customer/upper class snob" to attract every kind of twat you could possibly want to meet. In the past two weeks the number of these people has seemed to increase a good deal (we'll refer to them as winter twats).

Last week I had a customer who was spending the night after attending the wedding we'd been hosting during the day who decided he wasn't happy with his room; he began by calling my attention with the word "oi" and clicking his fingers at me which I bloody hate seeing as I'm not a personal slave. It turned out that him and his wife were hungry and wanted food, lets bear in mind this is 2:30am and I finished my shift already; I kindly explained to him that we don't offer food at that time and that there are no chef's on the premesis and the kitchen is locked up for the night, to which he replies "don't give me that, I don't believe you, I spent a lot of money here the last time I came here." I then tried explaining that the premesis is not classed as a hotel but a bed and breakfast and that there is no food available, this seems to please him even less so he steps closer and demands some sandwhiches and two large gin and tonics free of charge for the inconvenience of having to ask me.

At this point I just want to go home seeing as I've been at work for the last 13 hours, so I go downstairs to let the night manager know that the guy is being an ass and to charge the guys room for the drinks anyway because he's an ass, at which point the customer begins shouting from his room that he doesn't have enough towels. I return to the guys room with the drinks and the night manager in tow, who also then gets an earful about there being no food and an additional complaint about there being no phone in the room (another service we don't offer) like he was desperate to make a call at 3am, not to mention the fact he spent a good portion of the evening on his mobile. The guy once again establishes that he spent a lot on a previous visit and tells us that our service is bullshit before demanding another two gin and tonics and a free bottle of champagne and saying we'd better sort some food out, even though breakfast starts at 8 so he could have just gone to sleep for a few hours.

I just get sick of people who clearly have no real problems in their lives and instead bitch and moan about nothing until they get free stuff... <_<

#6 kajnrig

kajnrig

Committed Member

• 1,809 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

...interesting. Without even looking at where you were from, I could tell you were a UK-er. Bloody fine... how shall I say it? ..."regional" writing style you have there. Sorry, that has nothing to do with the thread at all, I just found it weirdly fascinating.

Anyway, the big question is: Did he get the freebies?

#7 ryushinn

ryushinn

Member v.1

• 90 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:01 AM

college and college professors who fucking teach you shit that is unnecessary. Example Genetics in a human anatomy class...SORRY i frankly don't care about mendel and his green peas...teach us the effing tissues, muscle and bone structures in lecture to help us prepare for lab practicals. Not frikken spend 4 lectures talking about genetics. No wonder the entire classes effing grades for the first lab practical are shitty. FDHJNSDFJGSDFUOGHDFSUIGDFISJK

#8 Kiske

Kiske

• 2,039 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:41 PM

The fact is took 3min to make and pay for a shipping label but it will take 21 days to refund it because it will not print.

#9 Caboose

Caboose

LOOK, A DISTRACTION!!!!!

• 1,429 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:53 PM

View PostKiske, on 07 October 2011 - 01:41 PM, said:

The fact is took 3min to make and pay for a shipping label but it will take 21 days to refund it because it will not print.

wow that is ridiculous!

something that really pisses me off... when a customer can't think...

I told a customer to highlight an entire URL. they asked 5 times if they needed the HTTP:// or the WWW. the customer even asked if they needed the .COM

really.. if you don't know what "ENTIRE" means... maybe.. just maybe you shouldn't be starting an online busines..

Kiske said:

Posted Image

#10 Horati of the Frost Hills

Horati of the Frost Hills

OMG A FROST GIANT

• 344 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:59 PM

Some of the things that piss me off...

When customers act like they are God.
When customers ask questions that I face palm myself.
When customers think that I can reboot their freaking router from where I am...
Not having enough money to buy Gundams. (heh heh, shameless plug)

#11 Caboose

Caboose

LOOK, A DISTRACTION!!!!!

• 1,429 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:52 AM

wtf is wrong with people... Me: I need you to go to your computer and get on IE. customer: My computer wont turn on. Me: does your computer have power? Customer: does it need to be plugged in?

Kiske said:

Posted Image

#12 Tyjos

Tyjos

Neko

• 267 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Gundam.....and sitting back and relaxing while working on making money.

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:32 PM

Finding that it's harder than you think to redesign a mobile suit for my own character......makes me wonder if I just need to design a whole new mobile suit but I need to start with the cockpit set up first and it'll be for 2 people and 2 Haro Interface Controls......and the fact it's actually harder to come up with an original looking design that won't look like different aspects of other suits mixed in....

Edited by Tyjos, 10 October 2011 - 12:33 PM.

Q - "Now, this I'm particularly proud of - behind the headlights, stinger missiles!"
Bond - "Excellent, just the thing for unwinding after a rough day at the office."
Q - "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
http://rborg42.wordpress.com/ -My Blog,Continually Updated.

#13 kajnrig

kajnrig

Committed Member

• 1,809 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

Caboose, just because you suck up fossil fuels like they're slushie doesn't mean you get to admonish others for being environmentally-conscious and sticking to ferrets and exercise wheels.

Tyjos, try designing it the way you'd design a character. Throw in the cockpit and other fine details later.

#14 Caboose

Caboose

LOOK, A DISTRACTION!!!!!

• 1,429 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:12 PM

Kajnrig... when a customer calls to have support on a website for a store they own and they don't know that a computer needs power even if by ferrets and exersice wheels... I think that is a problem

Edited by Caboose, 10 October 2011 - 03:12 PM.

Kiske said:

Posted Image

#15 Tyjos

Tyjos

Neko

• 267 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Gundam.....and sitting back and relaxing while working on making money.

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:24 PM

View Postkajnrig, on 10 October 2011 - 02:32 PM, said:

Tyjos, try designing it the way you'd design a character. Throw in the cockpit and other fine details later.

For some reason I want to design this thing to fit my character [and his female counterpart who's the co-pilot still working on that aspect there too] like a glove cockpit starting first and build the mobile suit around it.

Course that will take longer but I need a damned good creative project to keep my brain flowing, not sure how long Tetris can keep my brain going before I get bored of everything.

Just need this project to keep my creative impulses going...

Edited by Tyjos, 10 October 2011 - 03:25 PM.

Q - "Now, this I'm particularly proud of - behind the headlights, stinger missiles!"
Bond - "Excellent, just the thing for unwinding after a rough day at the office."
Q - "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
http://rborg42.wordpress.com/ -My Blog,Continually Updated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users