1/144 HG Cherudim

16 replies to this topic

#1 kajnrig

kajnrig

Committed Member

• 1,813 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

Okay, fine, I'll show you what I've made. Just make sure to keep an optical surgeon on hand because your eyes are going to fall out of their sockets for the sheer burning magnificence of my skills!

...not really, but having an optician nearby can't hurt, can it?

Anyway. A little history: I bought this kit to take advantage of that Bandai promotion thingie. (The card, incidentally, went unused. Shame... <_< ) I didn't think much of the design - I didn't hate it, I didn't love it - but there were a few issues with it, like a perfectly passable cheeseburger with a few old ingredients, an unpickled pickle, and a spare hair or two. And seeing as how all my other builds - with the exception of an Aoshima M9 kit, which is undoubtedly the best plastic model kit in existence - have been stalled in one way or another due to excessive scratchbuilding or modding, I figured I would only focus on the most egregious of offenses. After a while, I narrowed it down to:

1.) The weapons
2.) The backpack
3.) The GN Drive
4.) The shield bits

So let's get on with it, shall we?

---

Spoiler

Anyway, that's all for now. If I find the time, I'll take pics of my other builds. Thanks for taking a look, HF. I only accept lavish and undeserved praise, though. No C&C. :P Nah, kidding. Criticize away; I'd do exactly the same to you, and you know it.

EDIT:

I'm also working on extending the neck. It's the staple 00 double-ball polycap, and I'm too lazy to recast it in resin to make it easier to work with. (Really, all this articulation is just more and more trouble for me.) Drilled a hole through it, inserted a plastic rod, and coated the result in a mixture of Tamiya thin cement and spare sprues (a black one, hence the dark-colored cementing you see in the pics). Now that it has an outer shell of polystyrene, I'll be able to eventually paint it. The plan now is to cut it into three pieces - upper ball, actual neck, lower ball - and extend until I'm satisfied, then cement it all together from there.

EDIT 2:

Spoiler tags to avoid massive image spam.

Edited by kajnrig, 06 April 2012 - 02:30 AM.

#2 -Hasaki-

-Hasaki-

Old School Member

• 1,401 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:52 PM

oh Holy damn  :blink:  :o , Kaj actually shows us a work of his for a change, this demands celebration I must say  :Fireworks:  lol
well, so far everything as you explained looks good and promising, have to hold my critics until we see more progress images, until then  :rockon:

Edited by -Hasaki-, 16 October 2011 - 08:52 PM.

Work in Progress
1/100 Wing Zero-TV ver-

Posted Image

My Blog

#3 hummingbird

hummingbird

Member v.3

• 356 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:36 AM

hmm. .. very interesting indeed....
Posted Image

#4 HarrySKRTCH

HarrySKRTCH

Member v.3

• 248 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:55 AM

nice! looking cool so far. i like what youve done with the weapons. small subtle mods can really go a long way. are you going to follow the box art paint scheme or make your own? would like to see more of this.

#5 kajnrig

kajnrig

Committed Member

• 1,813 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:03 AM

Thanks, all. And bloody hell, I guess starting a WiP DOES help in motivation, because I've since committed myself to devoting my entire afternoon to working on this kit instead of working on a paper that's due Wednesday and has about a hundred pages and ten drafts to go. You cheeky sunvabitches... ;)

Anyway, to answer your question, Harry, the plan is to go with the original scheme with maybe a few oddities here and there. I had these grand ideas for - carrying on from the chest LED thing - piping light into the orbs on its arms, legs, eyes, and the backpack... thingies... but that's nothing more than a grand idea.

Edited by kajnrig, 17 October 2011 - 08:03 AM.

#6 Suzaku

Suzaku

Member v.1

• 93 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:42 AM

Oh, nice WIP! I like seeing what people do to tweak 1/144 designs, particularly when they center around fixes. It makes it easier to steal incorporate them into my own stuff later.  :ph34r:

#7 tetsujin

tetsujin

三面図流の初段

• 3,986 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:10 AM

I'm not real clear on why you'd want to get rid of the fore-grip on a long rifle. A weapon like that calls for a two-handed grip, don't you think?
---GEC
If you want something done right...
My website: http://scope-eye.net

#8 kajnrig

kajnrig

Committed Member

• 1,813 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:34 PM

Certainly, but that's what the splayed left hand is for. Nobody holds a rifle that way; there's a reason why foregrips are always on the bottom of rifles, and why they're completely nonexistent on marksman's rifles. It serves absolutely no practical purpose whatsoever.

#9 excillon

excillon

• 35 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:18 AM

Lol...I bought this kit from you like a month ago! I'm also modding it, but differently. Maybe I should start a WIP when yours is done...get off my lazy ass and build something. I haven't built anything since July.

#10 Caboose

Caboose

LOOK, A DISTRACTION!!!!!

• 1,429 posts
  • Interests:Gundams, Samurai, Drifting, Drag Racing

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:41 AM

This is really looking good. Keep up the work, i wanna see how this turns out.

Kiske said:

That makes caboose the master race

Posted Image

#11 HarrySKRTCH

HarrySKRTCH

Member v.3

• 248 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

kajnrig you still working on this or has it been pushed aside for another project? would def. like to see more of this!

#12 kajnrig

kajnrig

Committed Member

• 1,813 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:40 PM

I'm still working on it, but it's slower going right now. Schoolwork's picked up, as it should, and I'm spending more time 1) on other kits, and 2) on writing some more. I don't have the time to snap some photos, either... well, actually, I do, I'm just being horrendously lazy about it.

I've got some pistol holsters rigged up, and now I just need to figure out a way to attach them onto the rear hip, as well as detail them up.

As for the other kits I'm chipping away at, there are three that I'm working on right now, with a few to maybe just paint up:

1.) HGAW Gundam X (rigging up a shotgun and an arm-mounted shield out of the rifle's shield form)
2.) HG 00 Raiser - the 00 Quad/Cross Raiser (00 Raiser Condenser Type with two extra 0 Raiser wing binders attached)
3.) HG 00 Seven Sword/G - the 00 HYDRA (High-Yield Direct-Repulsion Armament; a silly acronym that basically means double the seven swords)
...and a distant 4.) Raiser + SS/G - the 00 Seven Sword Raiser - a combination of the two, along with the GN Sword III

Besides that, I've built up the courage to work on a 08MST dio (using the MG Ground Gundam, Ez8, and Ground GM I have, as well as maybe some Zakus or Norris's Gouf Custom), so naturally the first thing I'm going to do is use the various 1/144 scale 08MST kits I have (HGUC and old HG Ground Gundam, HG Ez8, and HG GM Sniper) as practice kits.

So yeah, sorry for the lack of an update. I'll try to get some updated photos, but for now, doesn't look like it's going anywhere fast.

#13 Aneroth

Aneroth

TOH!

• 494 posts
  • Interests:Building things.
    All kinds of things.

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:23 PM

i agree with what you were saying
many of the double 0 dual weapon modes were silly
i felt like it ruined some really good designs
glad to see you taking a shot at them

Also I agree with the rifle completely

Don't stress about the lack of an update
just take a breath and do what you need to do and jump back into it
sometimes a break helps
or maybe just use us fellow modelers for more motivation
I try to do that

and yeah i totally know what you mean by getting distracted by other kits xD
You should post some of them here
I'd love to see what you got.

Complete
Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image
wip
Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image

#14 kajnrig

kajnrig

Committed Member

• 1,813 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:28 AM

Holy jesus. Five months. I have been a lazy, lazy bum. To prove that point, here are the results of 150 days of work:

Spoiler

And that's it, folks. I stayed almost completely away from the hobby for the longest time, and I'm slowly inching my way back in. 'Til next time, whenever that may be.

EDIT:

Spoiler tags to help alleviate the image blast.

Edited by kajnrig, 06 April 2012 - 02:29 AM.

#15 Aneroth

Aneroth

TOH!

• 494 posts
  • Interests:Building things.
    All kinds of things.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:39 AM

whooo update!
Good to see some progress on this.
I really like the holsters.
I'm not too sure about your mounting problems. I"m not that familiar with the kit or what exactly you are trying to achieve.
but I like the look of the trigger finger. it really does look nice. sure some problems may appear when you prime it.
but don't let it get you down.
fingers always are the toughest and the best advice is patience.
Nothing more to it than that really.

Complete
Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image
wip
Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users