- - - - -

Modify Action figure wips or tutorials?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kiske

Kiske

• 2,015 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

does anyone have some wips, tutorials on modifying higher-end action figures. Modifications like removing the joints and puttying the joints to make it look more like a statue (non toy) and full repaints. I'm really interested in the PlayArts line Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy Figures, and the SH Figuarts lines, but the joints just ruin it for me. I'd love to think the joints could be solidified, gaps removed and repainted to create something wonderful. I know action figure mods have been popular on places like DA but, rarely (from what I've seen) do they turn out looking better or non-obvoius.

Anyone got a link feed?

#2 noysan

noysan

• 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:33 PM

-removed-

Edited by noysan, 08 March 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#3 Kurosawa

Kurosawa

Member v.5

• 870 posts
  • Interests:Gunpura, lightsabers, katanas, drawing, painting, graphic design, FOOD!! and movies

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

Here ya go: Play Arts Kai Vasto Lorde Figure The master for the head was a modified Hollow head which was cut up and re-sculpted. The hair was cast from another (Figma Tsuruya) figure then re-sculpted to fit on the back. The horns I had to scratch build then cast as a pair. I made molds of these so as I can sell them on the bay every now and then.

#4 Squee

Squee

Ever the obvious...

• 459 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

http://procustomizers.com/

This board has some amazing members with plenty of tricks for fixing figures.
Posted Image

#5 FinalGear

FinalGear

• 40 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

I would suggest you look into HOT TOYS

#6 Kiske

Kiske

• 2,015 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostKurosawa, on 02 February 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

Here ya go: Play Arts Kai Vasto Lorde Figure The master for the head was a modified Hollow head which was cut up and re-sculpted. The hair was cast from another (Figma Tsuruya) figure then re-sculpted to fit on the back. The horns I had to scratch build then cast as a pair. I made molds of these so as I can sell them on the bay every now and then.
Pretty cool, do you have any progress shots?

View PostSquee, on 04 February 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

http://procustomizers.com/

This board has some amazing members with plenty of tricks for fixing figures.

I'm actually already member there. I didn't find much last time I visited. They have a lot of cool mods but, they usually retain what makes them action figures. I'm looking for people removing that bit and making them more into statues. Things like visible joints on the arms just kill it for me. I essentially am looking for an alternative that scratchbuilding/sculpting a resin kit.

My current worked up idea is to take a trading figure and essintially cut the armor off and apply it to a resin body and resulpt everything to work. Sadly I recently found out the siad figure is not a figure but, a capsule gashphon toy and is barely 4" tall. -_- Wanting it too look my like a kotobukiya cold cast $300 staue and not a $9.99 capsule toy.

Posted Image

View PostFinalGear, on 05 February 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

I would suggest you look into HOT TOYS

they are apparently down for a site update. Hopefully they'll be back soon.

#7 noysan

noysan

• 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

-removed-

Edited by noysan, 08 March 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#8 jp554731

jp554731

TBS SASUKE Junkie

• 1,603 posts
  • Location:California, The Bay, Union city home of the James Logan Highschool Marching band and Windsymphony
  • Interests:SASUKE/ Gunpla

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

I would have posted this sooner... but I forgot to reply. here is a forum that has members that post custom play arts figures made buy them and by people off of the forum as well.

http://www.finalfant...p?mode=register

Wesker's Samurai Edge M92F-C/ S.E.06 Work in Progress

http://www.hobbyfana...ge-m92f-c-se06/

#9 Hero

Hero

Morally Good But Ambitiously Blind

• 1,716 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

It's so much work just to get access to the forum...
If you're poking around and asking how to do this and that, here's my advice: Just try it. And when you inevitably fail, don't blame it on anyone. Learn from it and improve the next time around because honestly that's the fastest and surest way to get good at this craft or just about anything else for that matter.

Fail Harder.

#10 jp554731

jp554731

TBS SASUKE Junkie

• 1,603 posts
  • Location:California, The Bay, Union city home of the James Logan Highschool Marching band and Windsymphony

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

View PostHero, on 07 March 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

It's so much work just to get access to the forum...

you don't need to register... you can just lurk

#11 Hero

Hero

• 1,716 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

But I can't see anything but the welcome section.
If you're poking around and asking how to do this and that, here's my advice: Just try it. And when you inevitably fail, don't blame it on anyone. Learn from it and improve the next time around because honestly that's the fastest and surest way to get good at this craft or just about anything else for that matter.

Fail Harder.

#12 jp554731

jp554731

TBS SASUKE Junkie

• 1,603 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

View PostHero, on 07 March 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

But I can't see anything but the welcome section.

Press the final fantasy mechandise banner.

#13 Hero

Hero

• 1,716 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

Apparently being logged in denies me access. Boy do I feel stupid.

Fail Harder.

#14 Kiske

Kiske

• 2,015 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

Thanks JP, some nice works on over there. Though its a bit lacking in final finish, for us resin builders (rough work, exposed joints.) It does give me a good idea on where to start. Shame the PA's are so tiny. 

Edited by Kiske, 08 March 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#15 jp554731

jp554731

TBS SASUKE Junkie

• 1,603 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

View PostKiske, on 08 March 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

Thanks JP, some nice works on over there. Though its a bit lacking in final finish, for us resin builders (rough work, exposed joints.) It does give me a good idea on where to start. Shame the PA's are so tiny. 

Not to mention crappy quality check and crappy wannabe revoltech joints. I have had 5 of these pa Kai figures and all of them had at least 2-3 issues. I'm thinking of just replacing all the joints with real revoltech joints. Not all the pa figures are small, the PA Kai line of metal gear solid figures are huge

I'm working on a PA custom yuffie Dirge of Cerberus figure myself. I just need to do a little more modding and it'll be time for me to paint it, mess up,strip it and paint it again only to shelve it for a few months until I take it out to mess up again. Lol

Edited by jp554731, 08 March 2012 - 06:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users