Advice on 1/72 VF-1 landing bay doors?

3 replies to this topic

#1 kajnrig

kajnrig

Committed Member

• 1,840 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:32 PM

Hey all. I've restarted an old VF-1 Strike Valkyrie that I got and mucked up way back in middle school (15 years ago...). Lots of super glue needs sanding away, lots of paint needs stripping. Some panel lines need rescribing, which I'm not looking forward to considering how fine the details are on this kit. Lots of puttywork to do. Pieces are missing. But my dilemma:

The instructions don't mention how to pose the kit with the landing gear doors up (or if they do, I didn't see it). I've just gone ahead and sliced off the hinges and dry-fit the doors, and they seem to fit pretty well. Still, pieces aren't level with each other, there are gaps, etc. My thinking right now is to simply glue the doors to a strip of plaplate. Anybody have any advice on closing landing gear that were never meant to close?

An unrelated question: I've asked about Testors contour putty before, and the response has been generally negative, but it's the most convenient for me. Any suggestions on other putties that are as easy to work with but post better results? Epoxy putty (Milliput) isn't "runny" enough for my taste, and poly putty (or at least the drum of Bondo I used for a while) can't be applied as precisely as I'd like.

#2 ledmirageb4

ledmirageb4

Member v.4

• 776 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:50 PM

View Postkajnrig, on 25 September 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

Hey all. I've restarted an old VF-1 Strike Valkyrie that I got and mucked up way back in middle school (15 years ago...). Lots of super glue needs sanding away, lots of paint needs stripping. Some panel lines need rescribing, which I'm not looking forward to considering how fine the details are on this kit. Lots of puttywork to do. Pieces are missing. But my dilemma:

The instructions don't mention how to pose the kit with the landing gear doors up (or if they do, I didn't see it). I've just gone ahead and sliced off the hinges and dry-fit the doors, and they seem to fit pretty well. Still, pieces aren't level with each other, there are gaps, etc. My thinking right now is to simply glue the doors to a strip of plaplate. Anybody have any advice on closing landing gear that were never meant to close?

An unrelated question: I've asked about Testors contour putty before, and the response has been generally negative, but it's the most convenient for me. Any suggestions on other putties that are as easy to work with but post better results? Epoxy putty (Milliput) isn't "runny" enough for my taste, and poly putty (or at least the drum of Bondo I used for a while) can't be applied as precisely as I'd like.

Bondo is for use with high stress places. This is probably not the right putty for your model. But it works. You got the have the right consistency.

#3 kajnrig

kajnrig

Committed Member

• 1,840 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:44 PM

Any suggestions for thinning it (or epoxy/Testors) out?

I seem to recall a Mr. Hobby liquid putty as well...?

#4 electric_indigo

electric_indigo

Laser Brain

• 3,128 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:24 PM

I used Mr. Hobby liquid putty with enthusiasm, but the jar wasn't very tight and had a big opening, so it dried out pretty quick. It had just the right consistence, unlike the Tamiya putty I mixed with thinner.

For the landing bay doors, I suggest to put the kit's doors or a piece of plastic sheet over them without trying to get a perfect fit, then go over the area with a layer of polyester putty like Mori Mori. Sand it flush with the fuselage, then re-engrave the panel lines into the putty.
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users