Jump to content


ACRYLIC PAINT/THINNER DANGEROUS?


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pocketrockets

pocketrockets

    Member

  • Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:19 PM

I am wondering are acrylic paints and thinners dangerous? Are the fumes dangerous if i airbrush them? Is isopropyl alchohal dangerous if inhaled or skin contact? Will these paints cause brain damage or lung cancer?

#2 Ido

Ido

    Becoming a decent modeler

  • Member
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:58 PM

pocketrockets, on Oct 4 2005, 06:19 AM, said:

I am wondering are acrylic paints and thinners dangerous? Are the fumes dangerous if i airbrush them? Is isopropyl alchohal dangerous if inhaled or skin contact? Will these paints cause brain damage or lung cancer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


All paints are dangerous for your health if you airbrush them as far I know.

#3 Guest_Ragnarok043_*

Guest_Ragnarok043_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:12 PM

Ido, on Oct 3 2005, 09:58 PM, said:

pocketrockets, on Oct 4 2005, 06:19 AM, said:

I am wondering are acrylic paints and thinners dangerous? Are the fumes dangerous if i airbrush them? Is isopropyl alchohal dangerous if inhaled or skin contact? Will these paints cause brain damage or lung cancer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


All paints are dangerous for your health if you airbrush them as far I know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


uhmmm your right to a certain extent, but you need to be exposed to massive amounts on a regular basis to for it affect your health. anyways i personally wouldnt worry about it too much, just take proper precaution such as ventilation and filtration and you'll be fine. youre not gonna get lung cancer or a brain tumor.

anyways acrylic paint is actually the safest type of paint you can choose. the fumes arent harmful like enamel or lacquer paint. as for Isopropyl alcohol its just rubbing alcohol, the same stuff your doctor uses. though like i mentioned already you still need to have proper ventilation and filtration.

#4 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

    Member v.1

  • Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:23 PM

It's pretty safe stuff.  All the precautions I take is to open the window right infront of my desk and turn a big fan on that sucks air out the window.  No spray booth with out takes hooked up, just simple ventilation.

Isopropynal is pretty harmless stuff.  You don't want to drink it, but a wiff or two isn't going to do much of anything.  I went and read the official sheets about the stuff.  It has the exact same effects as... alcohol!  Exposure in sufficient quantities causes nervous system depression (just like alcohol).  Expore in suficient quantities while pregnant causes fetal alcohol syndrome.  Putting it on your skin will... dry your skin.  Exposure to large amounts of fumes will mildly irritate your eyes and possibly sinuses.  And so on.  Simple ventilation is all you need.

And if you're still worried you can pick up a good quality filter mask for $20 or so.  Might be worth the peace of mind.  I bought one just for working with nasty solvent based putties.

#5 Darkside Hero

Darkside Hero

    Member

  • Member
  • 46 posts
  • Location:Dallas,TX

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:50 AM

Also keep in mind that Isopropyl Alcohol and Denatured Alcohol(ethanol mixed with flammable poisons) are not totally the same.
Denatured is a glass surface cleaner and Isopropyl is for household use. Denatured Alcohol is very poisonous and fumes from it can make you dizzy, but it will not leave behind any residue on surfaces that you clean with it. Pesonally I love denatured alcohol, it’s the best cleaner/thinner I could ask for.

#6 redrage

redrage

    Dirty Old Man

  • Member
  • 2,335 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:39 PM

Not to get too off topic or start a dispute with anybody but ANY paint that is sprayed is harmful to your lungs if inhaled.

Let’s be certain that we are talking about the same things.

High VOC paints (lacquers, epoxies, urethanes, mineral spirits, turpentine and to a lesser degree enamels) are harmful whether they are sprayed or brushed; it's the vapor that is dangerous. Open the paint, concentrate the vapors and take a deep, dangerous breath and you have all you need for a bad headache and potential nerve damage. If I recall urethane vapors are so toxic that if you breathe them in a confined area such as a spray booth with out proper protection it may even be fatal. For more information read the label or contact the manufacturer.

Low VOC paints such as latex, some acrylics, water colors, gouache and some acrylic inks (to name a few) do not have harmful vapors and many may even be labeled as “Non-Toxic”. You can leave buckets of some brands of acrylic paint open in a room and not have an issue with the fumes. Despite their “non-toxic” rating that doesn’t mean you want to breathe the atomized particles. Inhaling the atomized paint is a completely different risk than ingesting it.

Do you really want non-toxic, acrylic paint drying inside your lungs?

Most dry pearls and metallic powders are dangerous too because all it takes is a slight breeze to atomize them and then they can be inhaled directly into your lungs. At the very least all of these things are an irritant.

What is the risk? How likely is it that you will spray acrylic paint into your mouth or nose? Not very likely. How many times would it take for it to be a problem? Probably just one deep breath of atomized paint would cause serious breathing problems. I prefer to avoid high VOC products as much as possible. I don’t boycott them but I use them sparingly and with caution. Most high VOC paints can also be absorbed through your skin which may cause serious liver problems with repeated exposure.

If in doubt read the label, get a MSDS sheet from the manufacturer or better still just wear a respirator when you shoot them. (A mask should be fine for low VOC paints) It’s also a good idea to wear eye protection when you airbrush but that’s a different topic altogether.

Generally speaking acrylics are quite safe. In my opinion most of these safety warnings are a little out of proportion to the risk but the bottom line is to be safe out there. If you take proper precautions and use some common sense you won’t have any problems.

BTW: Nerve damage is permanent. You can trust me on that one.

Cheers

#7 mr_greed

mr_greed

    MECHA PIMP

  • Member
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:14 AM

red rage hit the head on he nail, it is not the paint that is toxic, its the fact there are tons of million of little molecules of it going into your lungs as you breethe. proper ventilation and air filtration is needed. if you that anal, spend 30 bucks on a painters respirator mask, not the paper ones. the one with side cannisters for filtration. also check your paints before you spary. most acrylic paint have somethere in the direction part that says wheter spraying it or not is harmfull. some silvers ( fine silver from liquitex is one ) have metals in them that are deeply harmfull to your health and can cause cancer IF SPRAYED , so just do a double check. and when in doubt ask your local art store/hobby dealer.
SEE MY CORE WORKS EX-S VER 2 WIP !

ALSO SEE MY CORE WORKS MK-V WIP

HEY ! COME SEE MY FAZZ NEBULA ! AT HOBBY YARD !

AND WHY NOT ADD YOURS THERE TOO !?

#8 acidarmitage

acidarmitage

    Member v.2

  • Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:03 PM

you're not gonna die or anything, my room has normal ventilation and i havent died yet, hell i even fell asleep with turpentine across the room (most likely BECAUSE of the turpentine) and i just woke up 2 hours later with a headache  :D

#9 Guest_sprtrooper_*

Guest_sprtrooper_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2005 - 12:33 PM

No acid id ditnt kill you, but I can promise you that it was the same as you getting high on a doobie.  You lost a lot of brain cells, you had some awesome dreams, but woke up only with a headache. You dont want to smell any high VOC for a long time. You are drepriving your brain of greatly needed oxygen.  No I am not condoning breathing paints for fun. One time aint gonna kill you but prolonged exposure will cause permanent damage, just like drinking and smoking, etc.

Redrage is right on.

#10 TFCreate

TFCreate

    Not Recast... Not Crappy Thai Resin...

  • Member
  • 2,725 posts
  • Location:Chicago, Ill. U.S.A.
  • Interests:Resin kits, motorcycles and anime<br />Sites I'm experimenting <br />http://tfcreations.com/mambo/<br />http://tfcreations.com/serendipity/<br />http://tfcreations.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php<br />http://tfcreations.com/nucleus/index.php<br />http://tfcreations.com/album2/

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:32 PM

Well, I've been model painting for about 40 years, with no ill effects.
If you paint in a well ventilated area, you will be fine.
The only time I need a respirator is if I'm using laquers. I never paint in a small, closed room, and I always keep fresh air coming in. If your face is closer than a foot from the paint, then, yes.... wear a respirator. It's not as ominous as it's made out to be.
TFC




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users