Where to BUY Castrol Super Clean?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 NozomiWhiteWolf

NozomiWhiteWolf

wayward gal

• 4,047 posts
  • Interests:fashion, knitting, sewing, crafts, cosplay, gothic lolita, gyaru, makeup, photography, modeling, videogames, sport cars, baking, cooking, motorcyles

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:43 PM

Many people mentioned this product but I've gone to both Wal*Mart and Advanced Auto Parts and neither store even CARRIES it....where to buy? I can't find it online either. :(

Also, some people have mentioned oven cleaner...well I have some and I tried using it to strip paint from a figure and when I sprayed it, it came out frothy and foamy and did NOT take ANY paint of the kit AT ALL...even after I let it sit for a few hours. :( I thought this stuff was supposed to be super-strength? Anyway...info on where to buy is appreciated. :D

#2 Kabuto

Kabuto

• 47 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:41 PM

I found some at AutoZone but only the smaller spray bottle.  I got some Purple Power.  It was cheaper and the same stuff.  Worked great.

#3 Gunsmith Cat

Gunsmith Cat

Right-wing gun nut.

• 176 posts
  • Interests:Anime, anthro, guns, anime, and more guns.

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:54 PM

Any Wal-Mart should have it in the gallon size in the automotive section in the isle with the car wash stuff.

#4 StayPuft

StayPuft

Committed Member

• 1,949 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:36 AM

I buy mine from NAPA Auto Parts.

#5 NozomiWhiteWolf

NozomiWhiteWolf

wayward gal

• 4,047 posts
  • Interests:fashion, knitting, sewing, crafts, cosplay, gothic lolita, gyaru, makeup, photography, modeling, videogames, sport cars, baking, cooking, motorcyles

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:58 PM

Dad just got back from WalMart a SECOND time and they did NOT have any Super Castrol....at all. They don't even carry it at that store. And it's the only one somewhat close to us. Is there anyplace I can buy it online? And if they don't sell it online, can someone just send me a bottle of it? Of course I'll pay for shipping 'n at.
They didn't have it at Advanced Auto parts either btw. :(

#6 Sdf-1

Sdf-1

Member v.4

• 769 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:20 PM

For you people over there it's not that difficult as for us here... :ph34r:

#7 Sincere

Sincere

Member v.4

• 498 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:26 PM

Check Pep boys, or as Stay puft said NAPA you should be able to find it.

#8 StayPuft

StayPuft

Committed Member

• 1,949 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:53 PM

I found a place online for you but they only sell it in 5 gal concentrate and the small size.  Here's the link:

http://www.superklee...PROD&ProdID=358

#9 Gunsmith Cat

Gunsmith Cat

Right-wing gun nut.

• 176 posts
  • Interests:Anime, anthro, guns, anime, and more guns.

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:49 AM

Just PM me your address and I'll ship you some Castrol Superclean, I buy tons of this stuff for my automotive uses.

#10 Sdf-1

Sdf-1

Member v.4

• 769 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:10 AM

Gunsmith Cat, on Feb 13 2006, 10:49 AM, said:

Just PM me your address and I'll ship you some Castrol Superclean, I buy tons of this stuff for my automotive uses.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm pretty sure this wasn't meant for me. But I seem to have problem with this now. I tried to ask on a Finnish ipms-forum about cleaning the resin, but people don't know about this kind of models, resins etc over here that much... Actually they were more surprised about the whole greasiness of resin kits. They seem to be familiar mostly with talcum and no release-agent at all models. So it's beginning to look like the only way to make sure you have a decent cleaning solution, would be getting the stuff you use over there. I'm sure some kind person would send it for me, but the shipping costs are the sad thing... I wonder how much would it cost... Yeah, and how re-usable is Castrol super clean... The point here seems to be, it has to be exactly the right type of degreaser, not just the first one I could find here... I must say it's not that nice if you have to import every single thing if you want to do this hobby. :( But I will, if it's necessary...

#11 StayPuft

StayPuft

Committed Member

• 1,949 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:59 AM

There are alternatives to castrol super clean that work just as well.  I've used a combination of detergent (like the type you use to wash clothes) and Soft Scrub before and it worked great!  Mix the two together in a container of water, then soak your resin pieces overnight.  Next day just scrub each piece with more Soft Scrub.

You can also buy industrial strength degreaser/cleaner here:

http://www.labsafety...ch&dept_id=3560

My friend uses that stuff and works great!

#12 Sdf-1

Sdf-1

Member v.4

• 769 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:14 AM

Hmm, I'm gonna just buy some automotive degreaser I can find here and see how it works. Basically it should. What is that soft scrub exactly? I'll have to figure out some local stuff for that too. Would dishwashing agent perhaps do? Soap? In figure kits this isn't a problem, since it goes with the sanding pretty much and it's easy to wash anyway. But with complex mech kits, it's a different story. And I don't want to see primer peeling off from my kits...

Edit: Ok, I believe I already found a decent solution to that Soft scrub part, Johnson's Mr. Muscle bathroom cleaning stuff. It's maybe not enough alone, so now it's up to the degreaser thing. That cloth washing detergent sounds good too. I believe I'll figure out this quite soon ^^

Thanks for suggestions StayPuft!

Another edit  ;) : I was wondering do you people over there know the Johnson's sewer cleaning agent? People over here have traditionally used it for paint remover on model kits. Just soak a model in it even for a few days. Some paints peel off or melt almost immediately. Some don't at all. Finally toothbrushing with it and rinsing. It shouldn't hurt the resin, I guess, and it's supposed to remove grease etc. I think I could give it a try too.

#13 misato-chan

misato-chan

I model, ergo sum!

• 1,837 posts
  • Interests:Anime, manga, Japanese stuff.

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:52 PM

The soft scub I use is this one: Attached File  DSCN.JPG   7.02K   65 downloads
Just some lemony powder for kitchen use so I'm sure you can find it anywhere in the world under different brand names.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#14 Sdf-1

Sdf-1

Member v.4

• 769 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:38 PM

misato-chan, on Feb 14 2006, 11:52 PM, said:

The soft scub I use is this one: Attachment attachment
Just some lemony powder for kitchen use so I'm sure you can find it anywhere in the world under different brand names.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that is not the difficult part (though "soft scrub" sounded strange to me). But it's just what I'm gonna use as the soaking agent. I have been even suggested to sink the parts in lacquer thinner for a while. You know, those complex mecha kits are more difficult to be sure if all the grease is gone. Figure kits go with just dishwashing detergent & toothbrush + normal sanding, pretty much. At least I've had no problem. I already made a new topic for my question(s) about this.

#15 NozomiWhiteWolf

NozomiWhiteWolf

wayward gal

• 4,047 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:06 AM

Wow...I cannot believe this.

Okay so my dad orders the stuff a few WEEKs ago...and it turns out the guy says its backordered....for a while. A while? Well...at least now I am on vacation and won't be able to work on figures to worry about it. But really...will I EVER get this stuff? If it's still backordered for weeks after I get home from break, I will be really mad. By then, I would ask someone here to get me a bottle. :P I think tonight or tomorrow night I will look in the local WalMart here and see if they have it here...since there was none up home. *SIGH* The never ending quest continues....I swear this could be like a video game or something...quest for the Holy Castrol....yeaaah.  <_<

PS: Laquor thinner sounds like it would work....I have a kit that needs paint stripped and it won't come off with my Purple Degreaser stuff but I do not think I would tolerate the smell of laquor thinner. I used enamel thinner for my kits a long time ago and even that gave me a headache.  :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users