How to Strip Acrylic Paint Fast, Safe and Easy

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gmobile17_*

Guest_gmobile17_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:37 PM

Here's is a method that I just experimented but I don't know if anyone mention. I found another way to strip acrylic paints such as lacquer base ones like Tamiya and Mr. Color quickly and safely. It works on other types of acrylics but I have not tested it on enamels.

There is a product called Oxi Clean. Its a all purpose stain remover that comes in a small container and looks like laundry detergent powder. I found that if you soak the model to be strip of paint in Oxi Clean, it dissolves the paint in minutes!
I have a garage kit that I wasn't too fond of the paint job. I use a bowl with half a scoop of Oxi Clean and warm water. The paint on the GK dissolves in just a minute! All I have to do was use a tooth brush and scrub it a bit. In less than five minutes, the GK was clean of paint! The best part is that there is no dangerous fumes or chemicals. The oxidation of that detergent just melted the paint and didn't even harm the putty I used to fill in cracks or the resin itself.

#2 Guest_gmobile17_*

Guest_gmobile17_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:32 PM

Okay... I retested it on another model that I've been having problems with the paint job. It appears to be safe on enamel (might not be if soak overnight). I have been working on a Sayla Mass model and I had repeated problems with the paint job. I had use a enamel grey primer, Tamiya paint, Future Floor Wax and Delta Ceramcoat Exterior Clear Coat. This took only 3 minutes to strip. If you look at the photos below you can see the results. Tamiya paint, Future Floor Wax and Delta Ceramcoat Exterior Clear Coat (All 3 are Acrylic paints) normaly require alcohol and/or lacquer thinner to strip which gets messy, toxic, and always some left over glop that sticks around. Look how fast Oxi Clean strip the paints that had been on the model for 6 months. I didn't have to use a glove to do this. All the paint started to dissolves on the first minute... and I gave it a really thick paint job. The enamel primer underneath was not affected by the Oxi Clean. With a tooth brush and a minor gentle scrubbing of the parts in the container bath, I have remove all the Acrylic paint from the kit without damaging the enamel coating or resin. The only thing left is pour out the stuff and rinse everything with water. Not a drop of sticky paint left... not even on my hands!

#3 Darkblade48

Darkblade48

Member v.5

• 812 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:19 PM

Hmm, now someone should test this for plastic injection models (like Gundam models)

It's nice to see new methods of stripping paint with environmentally friendly chemicals :)

#4 Guest_gmobile17_*

Guest_gmobile17_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:54 PM

It's safe on injected plastic... I would know... I found out this discovery after I accidentally dropped my Gundam into a bucket of mixed Oxi Clean solution!

Even though it's safe on plastic, my advise is NOT to soak over too long of a time period. Only long enough to completely strip the paint off. Don't know if there is any affect on long term soaking since oxidation can be harsh certain stuff like metals.

#5 Darkblade48

Darkblade48

Member v.5

• 812 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:48 PM

For those that are chemically inclined, OxiClean is actually sodium percarbonate (C2H8Na4O12), a detergent and bleaching agent which produces hydrogen peroxide when dissolved in water (Source: Wikipedia).

So, I guess the real question is how does hydrogen peroxide make the paints come off more easily, and does it have any long term effect?

Another question is why it would strip off the paint, but leave the primer untouched too.

#6 Guest_gmobile17_*

Guest_gmobile17_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:36 AM

Smart man. Yes it's main ingredient is hydrogen peroxide. I tried hydrogen peroxide to see if it would strip paint but it didn't work. Unlike hydrogen peroxide, Oxi Clean starts oxidation when water is introduce. It basically start fizzing a lot. However, I was think of trying hydrogen peroxide and baking soda to similate the reaction.

#7 Guest_gmobile17_*

Guest_gmobile17_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 06:02 AM

BTW... CORRECTION:
Tamiya isn't absolutely a lacquer base paint but more like a alcohol base one... Mr. Color is true lacquer base paint. For some reason people just refer to paints as either acrylic or enamel. However, regardless of it's base, I found that the Oxi Clean did work on hobby brand lacquer paint that I have such as Testors clear coat lacquer. It also work on Deltra Ceramcoat Exterior Clear Coat which is a Varnish. However, I have a feeling that the time it takes to strip certain brands of lacquer and varnish might vary and it might not work on all brands!

#8 ssgtdude

ssgtdude

Committed Member

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Resin

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:13 AM

Darkblade48, on Mar 14 2006, 05:48 PM, said:

Another question is why it would strip off the paint, but leave the primer untouched too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would suppose it works in the same fashion that it doesn't remove color fast colors from cloth, or carpeting either.

#9 GameraBaenre

GameraBaenre

Banned Asshole

• 2,773 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:30 AM

I recently (last week) used the Purple industrial strength cleaner to remove the paint from an old sazabi that had 2 layers of paint... an initial layer of Tamyia TS Red spray paint (Lacquer based I believe) and a couple of layers of Tamyia acrylics (From a second rebuild project - for which I did not completely remove the initial TS Red layer).

After soaking the parts - polycap and all in the purple cleaner - for about an hour or so the paint fell right off the parts.  A few nooks and crannies needed to be brushed, but the paint in those areas came off very easily as well.  I let another piece soak for about 20 hours (did not have the time to work on the piece earlier) And there were no adverse affects on the bandai plastic:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Just another option for tamyia acrylic paint removal that works very well.

Belkar Bitterleaf, on OOTS #476, said:

I an a sexy shoeless god of cooking too.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Guest_gmobile17_*

Guest_gmobile17_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:40 AM

Interesting... I wonder what happens if we mix the Purple cleaner and the Oxi! :D
Might come up the the ultimate paint stripper!

#11 EarlGrey

EarlGrey

• 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:24 PM

or might end up with poisonous gas :)

seriously, don't  randomly mix chemical together, like cleaning chemical and stuff. You will never know what kind of chemical reaction you would get out of it.

#12 telemarq

telemarq

The Old Fart, Yebisu Beer Sponge since 2006

• 1,322 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:25 PM

gmobile17, on Mar 14 2006, 11:40 AM, said:

Interesting... I wonder what happens if we mix the Purple cleaner and the Oxi! :D
Might come up the the ultimate paint stripper!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you don't have a degree in chemistry and/or many years of industrial safety experience, I strongly suggest you don't try that.

BTW, what happened to our posts from earlier in this thread?  Two have mysteriously vanished.

#13 telemarq

telemarq

The Old Fart, Yebisu Beer Sponge since 2006

• 1,322 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:33 PM

telemarq said:

BTW, what happened to our posts from earlier in this thread? Two have mysteriously vanished.

Disregard. I realized this was also on the other message board and I posted over there.  Please forgive, I was having a "senior moment." :lol:

#14 Kabuto

Kabuto

• 47 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:45 PM

telemarq, on Mar 14 2006, 03:33 PM, said:

Disregard. I realized this was also on the other message board and I posted over there.  Please forgive, I was having a "senior moment." :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehe.  I hate those!

#15 Guest_gmobile17_*

Guest_gmobile17_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:25 PM

EarlGrey, on Mar 14 2006, 05:24 PM, said:

or might end up with poisonous gas :)

seriously, don't  randomly mix chemical together, like cleaning chemical and stuff. You will never know what kind of chemical reaction you would get out of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi EarlGrey
Hey telemarq

Give me a little credit guys... I'm not completely insane. However, seriously like you guys mention, here is something you should know.

Don't mix chloride/chlorine (basically bleach) or ammonia or any cleaners that contains those ingredients to Oxi Clean! This is a dangerous mix that can result in death!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users