Tamiya Spray-Work Basic Compressor with Airbrush

9 replies to this topic

#1 shinwhcm

shinwhcm

• 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:40 PM

First of all, let me say that I've been following this site for tips and guides for quite some time, and I have to say that for new modellers and those who want to know more about gunpla, this site is just godsend!

I have been doing plastic modelling for quite some time, and has never used an airbrush before. All my works are handbrushed, due to the fact that airbrushes and compressors here (Malaysia) can really cost a lot. A basic airbrush and compressor (Iwata) can cost around MYR 1,300.00 (around USD 346.00). Before I really want to spend thta much, I would like to try a simpler airbrush to get the hang of it, and I came across Tamiya's Spray-Work BAsic Compressor with Airbrush (#74520) that is quite affordable. Problem is, I can't find any review of this item in the internet. Has anyone out there ever tried it before?

Would truly appreciate any reply and thank you in advance for your time and trouble.

#2 Miki01

Miki01

Member v.3

• 380 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:11 PM

Tamiya's Spray Work compressor? Is that the black toolbox-y thing where you plug in a charged 7.2v R/C standard battery on the side to power up?

#3 shinwhcm

shinwhcm

• 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:19 PM

Miki01, on Mar 22 2006, 11:11 AM, said:

Tamiya's Spray Work compressor? Is that the black toolbox-y thing where you plug in a charged 7.2v R/C standard battery on the side to power up?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that's the one. The sales assistant selling this item is of very little help when it comes to queries like whether it comes with moisture trap or a tank, or single or double action. But it is the cheapest airbrush and compressor I can find in my town, at MYR 680 (around USD 180.00) including the battery pack. I thought it might make a great airbrush set for a beginner.

Attached Thumbnails

• 74520.jpg

#4 DecoRs

DecoRs

Mortar Noob

• The Mods
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:56 PM

Maybe this will help you.

http://www.tamiyausa...roduct-id=74520

#5 Guest_cwmodels_*

Guest_cwmodels_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:31 AM

Hi, welcome to Hobbyfanatics!

I had one of those Tamiya compressors years ago. As a matter of fact it was my very first compressor (slightly different version for the one you're looking at). It is good enough to get most basic airbrush effects done, but it's not very powerful and the air pressure cannot be adjusted. Comes with NO moisture trap or a tank. The thing lasted for about 3-4 years before breaking down completely. I recommend getting an AC Adaptor if this compressor had the option for a hook up. Running on battery will not give you enough time to do all the airbrush work required.

If you just need something compact and cheap to do basic airbursh it is not too bad for a beginner. But if  you need something with more features for fine detailing, you may want to considering looking into a better compressor.

Are you able to do online mail order at where you live? May find better selections and pricing that way.

#6 shinwhcm

shinwhcm

• 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:40 PM

Thanks guys, for your feedback. Most probably I'll start nice and easy, and go with the Tamiya airbrush. Maybe when I get the hang of it, I'll upgrade to a better one.

Online purchase is available here, but a quick check around has revealed horror stories of items arriving damaged, or worse, being held back by the authorities for tax issues.

I'll be sticking to this forum for airbrush tips and tutorials, though. Thanks again.

#7 Samurai7

Samurai7

• 27 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:27 AM

I think this tamiya compressor with it spray gun is not suitable for long hours painting. I've used one before about 6 years ago and with the humid and hot weather in Malaysia the AC adapter and compressor will become hot and melting  :lol: after few hours painting, unless you working in a cool room with airconditioning.  The double action spary gun that come with it not good as well, you might need to change to another stuff like iawata or something.
My advice is for you get another brand by mail order it from oversea. Right now I'm using italeri compressor complete with double action airbrush for £99 pounds = RM 650.00

cheers......

#8 personman906

personman906

• 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

Anybody know if this airbrush will work with a Testors mini compressor, or will I have to buy an adaptor for that?

#9 Fiona27

Fiona27

• 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:44 AM

Airbrush compressor kit if you want to buy a more advanced kits. They also have a good selection of different products you might be interested in addition, can also be special discounts on certain items. Purchases through the airbrush compressor kit are also available online. They have a variety of airbrush kits that you can choose. They also offer special discounts to their destinations like the other stores.

airbrush

#10 Airbrush24

Airbrush24

• 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:52 AM

Hi,
  I saw your post.Please visit this link.This will be useful.Thanks.

airbrush

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users