mr color thinner and leveling thinner

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 deepstriker

deepstriker

Member v.2

• 156 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:25 AM

I recently purchased mr color laquers, I want to try them since they seem to be brigther an more resistent than other colors.

Any difference between these two thinners?
Any particular recommendation for these colors besides they really smell?

#2 StayPuft

StayPuft

Committed Member

• 1,949 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:17 AM

Mr Leveling Thinner is Mr. Color Thinner with some retarder added.  This slows down the drying time of the paints.  It's good if you are hand brushing or if you want a slightly glossier finish.

Recommendations... these are pretty toxic paints so if you are air bushing, make sure to have good ventilation and wear a paint mask/respirator.  Clean your airbrush with plain old laquer thinner so as not to waste the more expensive Mr. Color Thinner.  Otherwise, these are excllent paints, I've been using them a lot lately.

#3 deepstriker

deepstriker

Member v.2

• 156 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:10 AM

thanks for the prompt answer!!!
OMG the thinner is so smelly I will have to paint close to the window and vent very efficiently my place.
good to know you can avoid the waste of thinner using plain paint thinner.

Do you ever had fluorescent colors to the piant to bright them up? I saw it done on Model graphix but since my japanase teacher left school very early I cannot understand a damn thing

#4 StayPuft

StayPuft

Committed Member

• 1,949 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:43 AM

Usually I just buy the Mr. Color fluorescents and they do mix well with the other Mr. Color paints.  Be careful!  Mr. Color fuorescent pink is VERY bright!  It's so bright I had to mix it with a little red to dull it down a little.

#5 deepstriker

deepstriker

Member v.2

• 156 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:19 PM

Thanks staypuft, your advices arre really welcome since the quality of your works is outstanding. Ok let me make a couple of examples.
I need to bright up a mix of bright (or cobalt) blue and white. I'll use a 5% of fluo pink (maybe mixed with red so the whole mix of the two will be 5%) giving a slight violet tune too.

I need to bright red,  is fluo orange better? or pink is good as well?

thanks for your patience and support

#6 StayPuft

StayPuft

Committed Member

• 1,949 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:46 PM

It's hard to give advice about mixing colors.  The best thing to do and it's what I usually do is mix a little bit of paint and try it out on a piece of paper.  Add a few drops of a color, then another until you get the shade you're looking for.  When adding red, especially for skin tone, add just a little at a time.  Mr. Color red is very strong and a little drop will make a big difference.

#7 Guest_Murfle_*

Guest_Murfle_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:43 PM

Speaking of laquer thinners, I've been having trouble finding any...  I have acetone, but i don't want to use it and waste any of my mr. surfacer testing it out, and I have my doubts it will work...  Does anyone know what kind of thinner this is?

TIA

#8 GameraBaenre

GameraBaenre

Banned Asshole

• 2,773 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:50 PM

Murfle, on Apr 5 2006, 07:43 PM, said:

Speaking of laquer thinners, I've been having trouble finding any...  I have acetone, but i don't want to use it and waste any of my mr. surfacer testing it out, and I have my doubts it will work...  Does anyone know what kind of thinner this is?

TIA

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depends on your use of lacquor thinners.  If you are using it for painting, then I would recommend using Mr Color Lacquor Thinner.  www.best1hobby.com sells the stuff in various sizes (if you are in the continental US) I don't know of any other sources for the stuff domestically.  If you are using it as general clean up and such (ie not thinning paint) then try your local hardware store.  I picked up a tin of lacquor thinner (right on the label it says "Lacquor Thinner") at both Home Depots and Lowes.  Now if you're not in the US...  well, cannot help ya there.

Belkar Bitterleaf, on OOTS #476, said:

I an a sexy shoeless god of cooking too.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Deckard

Deckard

• 38 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:58 PM

Murfle, on Apr 5 2006, 09:43 PM, said:

Speaking of laquer thinners, I've been having trouble finding any...  I have acetone, but i don't want to use it and waste any of my mr. surfacer testing it out, and I have my doubts it will work...  Does anyone know what kind of thinner this is?

TIA

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Acetone WILL NOT WORK.
As a matter of fact neither will paint thinner, acetone, various alcohol(except vodka), toulene, turpentine.
I have tried all of these in an effort to save money. (500ml Gunze is about $10 US from Rainbow 10!)
Needles to say I wasted a bunch of $$ on stuff that is sittin' in the garage.

So the following is what I use:
Attached File  virginlaquerthinner.jpg   15.02K   59 downloads
Klean Strip brand of Lacquer Thinner for cleaning my brushes and airbrushes, it cost me $9.00 a gallon at Walmart. (next to the automotive paints)
Great stuff VERY BAD FUMES, WORSE THAN GUNZE THINNER !)
I've tried thinning with the Klean Strip L.T. but it DAMAGES plastic and does not mix well with Mr.color paint !
For thinning I use Gunze Leveling thinner 50/50 with Mr Color paint & Mr Surfacer for my airbrush.
A bit thin, but i like to "build up my color" plus it works very well with Mr. surfacer 1200 which is what I use for my primer coat.

BTW:
That kind of thinner is a laquer thinner by Gianotes.
I found this stuff on a website called Hobbyworld Aoshima a while back and asked them if it would work with Mr. Color.
After all it was cheaper than Gunze.
Here is there response:

Dear Mr.Matt Bradbury:

Hello! How are you doing?
Thank you very much for your inquiry for Gaianotes Lacquer thinner.
Of course,  it works with Gunze GSI Paints, however, I recommend items of
the same maker.
And  Gaianotes retarder is dry delay additive. It is good for rid of uneven
coloring.
If you have further questions, please let me know.
Thank you for your time and have a nice day!

Best Regards,
Keiko Hara

I have yet to buy any, It does NOT contain levelers/retarders which is a must for airbrushing.
I will probably wont buy any because of the simplicity of using Mr.Color Leveling.

Morale of the story:
Don't mess with the acetone, ect...
You might give Gianotes a try but remember no levelers/retarders
"Stick" with the "Good Stuff"
Last but not least USE A RESPIRATOR and happy modeling!

Matt B. :D

#10 Guest_Murfle_*

Guest_Murfle_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:40 PM

Great!  Thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users