• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 beertax

beertax

Committed Member

• 1,960 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:01 PM

Hi all,

This is the RGM-Spartan conversion kit from akohobby, painted in custom desert color scheme.  I actually wanted to make a more detailed camo but I don't yet have the skills for it so the results speak for themselves.  I also tried an oil weathering around the edges but they came out very faint.  Lessons for the future, I guess.

Anyway here are the list of all the mods:
1. Akohobby conversion kit to the stock MG RGM Space Type.
2. Modded the knee with parts from Tamiya 1/35 M41 Walker Bulldog tank
3. Added reactive armor parts on chest, shin guard, and shoulder armor
4. Added rifle from MG Gelgoog (Anavel Gato version)
5. Added shield from MG RX-79G Gundam ground type
6. Added the bazooka and plug knife from HG Evangelion Test Type
7. modded left hip armor to include 1 more grenade rack.
8. Added bazooka rack and knife sheathe on torso.
9. Added Xyberdecal custom decals from Akohobby on chest and left shoulder.

This finalized version is not what I originally had in my mind, but I am not unhappy with the results.  I consider this a learning exercise and I hope to do better camo work in the future.

Here are the pics:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
My Updated Gunpla Sale (updated 9-24-2011)

MY RX-78-2 Artillery Custom WIP

Click on images below to see my Finished Works:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Victorious Secret

Victorious Secret

Member v.4

• 496 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:43 PM

Brother Beertax,

Like I said in other posts you certainly have great eyes for color.  This one is no exception.

I won't even talk about your craftsmanship.  We already know you are a very discplined builder.

I do want to share my experinces with you in doing camos.  Camo work is like figuring any other color design.  In my very humble opinion even camo requires careful planning and can not be placed on a whim.  For example, GM and Gundam have hard edge design thus requres a more defined camo pattern while Zakus and Dom have more of a round shape to it, so the camo pattern is much suitable in loose and free flow.

Also, define the edge of your camo pattern with shading so they look more clear and distinct.  That way your viewers can easily disctinguish between patterns and panel lines.

That's my 2 cents :)

VS

#3 Cyclone X

Cyclone X

Member v.5

• 883 posts
  • Interests:Transformers, Gundam, Evangelion, Gunnm, Microman, lots of stuff

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:21 AM

I like your result, you're always very creative and original

I understand what VS means about the camo edges, but otoh this way the GM may blend in more with the background (if it were real off course  :P )

#4 zxghost

zxghost

Member v.3

• 285 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:46 PM

perfect man, welcome to our spartan fleet =)

#5 MarkW

MarkW

Plastic Surgeon v2

• 4,704 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:48 PM

The paint job is very well done.  A few comments about your mods, though:

1.  the shield is oddly positioned, unless that is a stowed position.  The arm would have to twist 180 to use it.

2.  The reactive armor is a little confusing.  It is in places that are too few, and then oddly on the part.  not to get to real, but would a rocket launcher mounted on top of a reactive plate work well?

The kit is very well executed, from construction to a very cool camo job (I love the rifle), but it is hard to see how form follows function here.
MarkW

A shadow shall fall over the universe, and evil will grow in its path, and death will come from the skies

"I can cross stab Hitler to death off the list of cool crap I thought I'd never do"
--Brock Sampson

Posted Image
Gamera's Mecha/Figure model board

Posted Image

#6 Hero

Hero

Morally Good But Ambitiously Blind

• 1,717 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:20 PM

How about some action shots? I think the bazooka could have used a bit more randomness. It looks like a candy stick to me. Nonetheless, awesome job.
If you're poking around and asking how to do this and that, here's my advice: Just try it. And when you inevitably fail, don't blame it on anyone. Learn from it and improve the next time around because honestly that's the fastest and surest way to get good at this craft or just about anything else for that matter.

Fail Harder.

#7 beertax

beertax

Committed Member

• 1,960 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:39 PM

View PostMarkW, on Aug 1 2008, 07:48 PM, said:

The paint job is very well done.  A few comments about your mods, though:

1.  the shield is oddly positioned, unless that is a stowed position.  The arm would have to twist 180 to use it.

2.  The reactive armor is a little confusing.  It is in places that are too few, and then oddly on the part.  not to get to real, but would a rocket launcher mounted on top of a reactive plate work well?

The kit is very well executed, from construction to a very cool camo job (I love the rifle), but it is hard to see how form follows function here.

thx, the comment about the reactive armor, I deserve it.  To make the armor more practical Iwould probbaly have to put a lot more onto the body, and the front of the shoulder not the top.  Honestly I placed them for style than substance.  As for the shield I borrowed it from the RX79G and the Spartan would probably use the shield the same way: pull up the left arm and ave the claws pointing up when defending.  That would make the letters on the shield flip upside down but oh well.
My Updated Gunpla Sale (updated 9-24-2011)

MY RX-78-2 Artillery Custom WIP

Click on images below to see my Finished Works:

#8 MarkW

MarkW

Plastic Surgeon v2

• 4,704 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:24 AM

Ok, that makes sense (on the shield).  On the reactive armor...maybe just don't call it that... :unsure:
MarkW

A shadow shall fall over the universe, and evil will grow in its path, and death will come from the skies

"I can cross stab Hitler to death off the list of cool crap I thought I'd never do"
--Brock Sampson

Posted Image
Gamera's Mecha/Figure model board

Posted Image

#9 Amuro MkII

Amuro MkII

• 28 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:26 AM

Very nice Spartan bro, saw this on one of the other sites you usually post on and I must say that it gives a very SPARTAN feel.

As with the other's opinion I agree that the bazooka looks out of place, maybe the sesign just doesn't keep up with the busy look of the spartan. I guess the RX-178's bazooka would look better on it.

kudos to you bro!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users