• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 beertax

beertax

Committed Member

• 1,960 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:19 PM

Hi all,

This is my latest work, the MG Hi Nu Gundam VP Conversion.  It was a straightforward job involving cleaning resin, priming, and painting.  The decals are from mechaskunk and a few from Bandai Hi Nu waterslides.  The decals included with VP kit were all dry transfers, so I just used the red emblems on the shield and left shoulder and decided to skip out on the rest.  Its hard to tell from the 5 measely pics I am posting, but from my count I placed approximately 200 decals on this kit over 5 hours of work.  I think I went a little overboard on the decals :) stemming from my doubts of whether I did right by going with the original color scheme.  I had considered and rejected numerous color schemes before settling on the original blue and white.  I do love the result but in future I am definitely going to depart from original schemes and experiment more - specifically, with my next two projects. (1/100 Astraea and 1/144 HGUC Nu Gundam NG Evolve converison)  

Anyway, here are the pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ps: I swear one of these days Im gonna build a proper photo booth.  I got at least 3 other works I cant post b/c the white on white kills the photos.  Maybe I should've held off b4 posting this work as well but I really love the result and wanted to share it.  :P
My Updated Gunpla Sale (updated 9-24-2011)

MY RX-78-2 Artillery Custom WIP

Click on images below to see my Finished Works:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 akita

akita

Member v.3

• 399 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:33 PM

the VP mods look better than the Nu kit you get origianlly...  I've been meaning to get a Hi-Nu and this conversion kit...  I am convinced that seeing this, I will get one eventually -hopefully, I can get it in the future.

Posted Image

#3 JLYC

JLYC

Member v.5

• 938 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

beautiful finish!! it was an original kit i believe?

i agree with you regarding experimenting with custom colors. i wonder if any others here suffer from "white mecha syndrome". Over 50% of my mecha models (mainly FSS, Macross, Gundam) have white as their official colors..and I hate painting white!!

#4 woepriest

woepriest

Handsome Rogue

• 657 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:24 PM

Sweet, Im gonna get one of those asap once I finished with my other stuff. I like the original shield better but which one looks better on that btw?

#5 Cubic-X

Cubic-X

Member v.3

• 211 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:12 PM

oh man...... lucky you. My Hi-Nu is still in the box stacking high up on my Mt.Gundam... If you can have your blue slightly to purple would look good as well :) Btw is love that hi nu gun! makes me remind of the OVT one. (but that one is slightly more bulky)
Posted Image

#6 Mindless

Mindless

┬┐DONDE ESTAN MIS SUBMARINOS?

• 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Headphones, Hi-Fi, Music, RPGs, Mecha modeling and much, much more.

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:00 AM

Turned out awesome. Tasteful placement of decals, choice of colors and greatly executed.

My only beef would be the topcoat. Would definitely look better with a flatcoat, but that's just me. :P

#7 n-type

n-type

• 13 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:33 AM

Awesome work!

#8 DecoRs

DecoRs

Mortar Noob

• The Mods
  • 3,814 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:55 AM

Looks pretty nice.

I think we can all agree that the ankle joint set-up for this conversion kit is pretty retarded, right? :P

#9 beertax

beertax

Committed Member

• 1,960 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:44 AM

View PostMindless, on Oct 23 2008, 04:00 AM, said:

Turned out awesome. Tasteful placement of decals, choice of colors and greatly executed.

My only beef would be the topcoat. Would definitely look better with a flatcoat, but that's just me. :P

thx.  I actually use a custom semi-gloss coat that has an approx. ratio of 90% FFA and 10% tamiya flat.  I used to use a solution that was 80:20 but it seemed to kill the liveliness of the colors.  But yes now I am considering going midway 85:15.  Its just that everytime when final top coating time comes up I chicken out and use the safe 90:10  :)
My Updated Gunpla Sale (updated 9-24-2011)

MY RX-78-2 Artillery Custom WIP

Click on images below to see my Finished Works:

#10 Mindless

Mindless

┬┐DONDE ESTAN MIS SUBMARINOS?

• 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Headphones, Hi-Fi, Music, RPGs, Mecha modeling and much, much more.

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:58 AM

View PostDecoRs, on Oct 23 2008, 11:55 AM, said:

Looks pretty nice.

I think we can all agree that the ankle joint set-up for this conversion kit is pretty retarded, right? :P

*shudders*

Don't even mention them...

#11 Hero

Hero

Morally Good But Ambitiously Blind

• 1,728 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:53 AM

Inspiring. You really need a lightbox. Now I better get back to work!
If you're poking around and asking how to do this and that, here's my advice: Just try it. And when you inevitably fail, don't blame it on anyone. Learn from it and improve the next time around because honestly that's the fastest and surest way to get good at this craft or just about anything else for that matter.

Fail Harder.

#12 Amaterasu

Amaterasu

T-T-T-Ta-Ta-Tallllgeeeese!

• 3,861 posts
  • Interests:Shit be gettin' real, now yo!

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:27 PM

Your photo angles, model building are all very well done.  But yes, you need a lightbox or a better backdrop.

I would have removed the ugly panel lines and toned the brightness of the colours down a bit.  For realism's sake... but this is a very commendable product.

*thumbs up*

Looking for:

MG GP 01 : Face / Head

#13 electric_indigo

electric_indigo

Laser Brain

• 3,019 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:41 PM

Great work. And you are officially HF's Speed Modeler!

I like the semi-gloss top coat a lot. Especially on white kits, it's important to catch some highlights to bring out the shape of the design.

You don't need to build a lightbox, just get a very large sheet of white paper.
Posted Image

#14 strangepork

strangepork

Never Content

• 810 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:26 AM

Howdy Beertax!!

As always great work... I really like the color scheme.   Everything has already been said.  Again great work
Cheers!!!
===========================================
I had to move down to the new forbidden craze..
I know its madness but i do it anyway...
I scream louder when i dont know what to say...
One more chance to tear apart my brain...
Now I see color when theres only grey...
=================================================

#15 Mave

Mave

Member v.3

• 274 posts
  • Interests:Mecha!!

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:18 AM

Awesome job! The Hi-Nu is one of my favorite Gundams across the franchises multiverse and I like the clean look you gave it here.

I also applaud that you didn't smack it full of large decals screaming Gundam-this and funnel-system-that but kept them small and discreet. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users